Evening with NNA in London - October 2006

I attended the evening with NNA, organised by Computers Unlimited, last night and it was a very satisfying evening. Great venue, great food, decidedly helpful presentations, topped off with remarkably useful meetings with the software engineers.

The presentation of new features by Dan Monaghan and Biplap cottoned me on to a few features I'd missed so far, such as the paint bucket tool for creating polygons within a space, path objects more compatible with other tools, contextual menus for viewports, and the new chain dim tool. All simple but very effective improvements.

Jonathan Reeves, architect, presented some projects he's been working on and did a great job of showing the potential of many of the new features, especially in terms of 3D modelling. As he pointed out, it can be argued that we are at a point where 3D is finally starting to fullfil its potential.

Then we had a nice meal, afterwhich we split into two groups to discuss wishlist items with the engineers, Biplap and Dan. Armed with a large wishlist I managed to largely set the agenda for both groups.

The biggest wish being the ability to rotate our view/coordinate system. You can read my report of Biplap's comments here:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthrea...66931#Post66931

Some other things I requested or reiterated and talked to Biplap about:

1) More intelligent live sections (including the addition of wall components) - Biplap acknowledged that they were working on this

2) Ability to centralise, synchronise and manage resources on network

3) Small print preview window in the print dialogue box (like Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office, etc.)

4) Support for tilt 'n' turn windows in the window PIO (a largely european thing I understand)

5) Option to centre viewport on sheet at creation

6) Pull-down menu for Class Mapping files in the Class Mapping dialogue

Some other things I got on the agenda for the other group, but didn't manage to talk to:

1) Ability to split walls into two or more materials.

2) Ability to dimension the structural core of walls so that we don't have to choose between drawing correctly (in certain situations) or dimensioning.

Couple of feature I forgot to request or talk about:

1) Inclusion of window elevation in window schedules and the ability to make changes to these elevations and see those changes in the model

2) Ability to select multiple objects which are inserted in walls

Well done Christiaan!

I enjoyed it very much last year but could not make it this year but would add:

1. Why are the events so infrequent in the UK?

2. Why is there no regional events, especially as Jonathan is based in Bristol?

3. Why do you have to pay for a marketing event which is free in the US and not in just one location?

4. Some of the items you requested where brought up last year and so why have they not been ipmlemented in the 12.5 upgrade and if not why not and the reasons why not? A progress report from Dan would have been good.

Sorry to sound negetive as I really enjoyed it last year but frankly I am a bit disappointed with the 12.5 upgrade.

1. Why are the events so infrequent in the UK?

Climate change? Busy programming?

3. Why do you have to pay for a marketing event which is free in the US and not in just one location?

Offset costs I imagine. ?15 was pretty good for the meal we had, a glass of wine and venue. Presumably you're better off asking Computers Unlimited this question.

4. Some of the items you requested where brought up last year and so why have they not been ipmlemented in the 12.5 upgrade and if not why not and the reasons why not? A progress report from Dan would have been good.

Can't do everything at once?