Lighting Device default classes

How does one adjust the default classes attached to Lighting Devices?  

I have attached an example file to explain.  When I drop a new fixture into a drawing (in the attached file, a Martin MAC Aura XIP), a number of classes are automatically created that are attached to that symbol/device...  "Label>Martin Pro Labels", "Label>Movement Radius", & "Type>Moving Light".  I would like to change the "Type" assignment so that it classes as a "Moving Light Wash", not just a "Moving Light".  And not just for this individual drawing, for all following drawings that I use the symbol.

This is just one example of a symbol that I would like to adjust, I'd like to do the same for all of our in-house fixtures so that I can turn them on/off easily using our classing system.

Default Classes.vwx

Edited by ChollyO
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The new classes are being created by the symbol.
If you select the symbol in the Resource Browser and edit the 2D and 3D component of the symbol you can reassign the geometry to any class you would like.
You would need to edit each symbol in your resource file to modify the classing.

There are some additional methods to assign the lighting device to a class automatically available in Spotlight Preferences.

hahahaha

This has been a problem for years. There is no easy solution. 

Create the classes you want

Insert symbols in the new doc

edit the symbols to only use those classes.

insert the edited symbols into a working document 

A script or the Class and Layer mapping command might help, but that command wasn't designed for this purpose.

I think the classes used by VWX were created by PRG/VER and might possibly make sense to those companies, but not to any designer I know.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 3/25/2024 at 11:22 AM, ChollyO said:

for all of our in-house fixtures so that I can turn them on/off easily using our classing system

Have you played with the custom class settings in the spotlight preferences dialog? You can choose any field shown in the OIP for a light for the unit class. 

Here's a video with two methods for changing class names for symbols, which will help you build a custom library with the needed classes. 
It might be easiest to use the instrument type for the classes which removes the need to do the custom record editing I show.