Lidar apps

7 hours ago, Terri said:

I'm just got an iPhone 15 Pro so that I can use Lidar for my residential landscape designs. Which apps work with Vectorworks? Thanks!

Scaniverse is free app to start with if you want to experiment. It exports several formats that can be used with VW, both for mixing scans and CAD elements as well as processing with the terrain modeller points. It also exports USDZ models that can be seen in Apples' Preview app as well as augmented reality on the iPhone or iPad with no installation needed. Expect an accuracy at about 0.5%. The example is about 180 s q m and took about ten minutes to scan in one session.

Skärmavbild 2024-03-04 kl. 23.09.26.png

• Like 2
5 hours ago, mike m oz said:

Claes, how does that compare quality wise to Nomad?

With Scaniverse, you scan your objects then choose whether you want to export as PLY, LAS or OBJ i.e. as a point cloud or a mesh. Claes is exporting as mesh. With Nomad, you can only create a mesh by using 'Generate 3D models from photos' so to do what Claes is doing you really need to use Scaniverse.

As far as point clouds go however, when I tested it Nomad gave me more points for the same scan than Scaniverse did so I guess that means Nomad produces a better quality point cloud.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

With Scaniverse, you scan your objects then choose whether you want to export as PLY, LAS or OBJ i.e. as a point cloud or a mesh. Claes is exporting as mesh. With Nomad, you can only create a mesh by using 'Generate 3D models from photos' so to do what Claes is doing you really need to use Scaniverse.

As far as point clouds go however, when I tested it Nomad gave me more points for the same scan than Scaniverse did so I guess that means Nomad produces a better quality point cloud.

Have you tried turning off simplifications in Scaniverse ? It may generate more points. Not sure more points necessarily means better result though. Simplify can also remove irrelevant stuff and make the files smaller. One limitation with lidar is that it only sees up to 5 meters, so there is an edge for photogrammetry in areas where you can't physically go a given point within the range. I have tried a few other apps that generates more points but I'm not sure it added much in quality. Generally speaking, I wish there was an efficient method to extract edges, as a few edge points is often better as a base for modeling. This applies to most of these apps regardless of method. 

2 hours ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

Have you tried turning off simplifications in Scaniverse ? It may generate more points. Not sure more points necessarily means better result though. Simplify can also remove irrelevant stuff and make the files smaller. One limitation with lidar is that it only sees up to 5 meters, so there is an edge for photogrammetry in areas where you can't physically go a given point within the range. I have tried a few other apps that generates more points but I'm not sure it added much in quality.

No I haven't tried that + I think you're probably right about the number of points. It was more just an observation: that in my case the same room scanned with Scaniverse resulted in 500,000 points whilst with Nomad it was 2,000,000 points... To be honest, the point clouds I have taken with my iPad - whether using Nomad or Scaniverse - have been of limited use compared to professionally produced point clouds. One room I scanned last week was out by 100mm (room dims 4.5m x 2.5m)! Not sure why... But I will keep experimenting, including trying Scaniverse again...