Foundation Anchor Bolts in VW?

When designing a residential single-family dwelling that must adhere to IRC2018, how are you accounting for J-Bolt bottom plate foundation anchors?

"2018 International Residential Codes (IRC), call for minimum 1/2-inch-diameter anchor bolts. These bolts must extend 7 inches into the concrete and be spaced no more than 6 feet on-center. In seismic zones, these basic requirements apply with the addition of 3-inch-square plate washers."

With the understanding that a decent Foundation Contractor should adhere to local building practices... how should any VW user establish a BEST PRACTICE in respect to Construction Drawing coordination while ensuring quality controls are implemented? Is there a generalized process for J-Bolt anchors to be included on a Foundation Plan, or do you think that this is overkill to provide this level of detail, given the importance that Anchor Bolts have given their respective role of inclusion into Braced Wall Design?

12 minutes ago, Ryan Russell said:

When designing a residential single-family dwelling that must adhere to IRC2018, how are you accounting for J-Bolt bottom plate foundation anchors?

"2018 International Residential Codes (IRC), call for minimum 1/2-inch-diameter anchor bolts. These bolts must extend 7 inches into the concrete and be spaced no more than 6 feet on-center. In seismic zones, these basic requirements apply with the addition of 3-inch-square plate washers."

With the understanding that a decent Foundation Contractor should adhere to local building practices... how should any VW user establish a BEST PRACTICE in respect to Construction Drawing coordination while ensuring quality controls are implemented? Is there a generalized process for J-Bolt anchors to be included on a Foundation Plan, or do you think that this is overkill to provide this level of detail, given the importance that Anchor Bolts have given their respective role of inclusion into Braced Wall Design?

That should be covered by your details and specifications, not a plan view or BIM model IMHO.

I completely agree with @Jeff Prince.  In my case this is always called out by the structural engineer as part of their shear wall schedule and typical details.  If needed to indicate specific placements due to potential conflicts with other items, I will include the anchor bolt in my details with an "anchor bolt per structural" callout.  These are 2D drawings and are not part of the model. 

• Like 1

I also agree. There are no circumstances where I would consider including physically modelling something like this. I might instead include a description of the bolts in the framing Wall style (i.e. in the 'Description' field) or perhaps even include a 'Foundation Anchors' Material in the framing component of the Wall: this would mean that data about the bolts was in the model if not the objects themselves + would allow me to tag the fact in the drawings + perhaps even report on bolt quantities if I needed to. You don't need to physically see an object for it to be in the model.

At the same time, if this is a standard detail + every wall is built to this specification + the details are already included in the architectural specifications then the info is already present anyway.