How to make a basement in a site model

Spotlight user here jumping into some new territory for me and I'm having trouble with building a basement in a site map.  I have a fairly simple map with a few contours and I want to go down 6' to build a basement below the grade.  From what I have gathered on the forum and vwx university so far I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere on the best way to do this.   I have tried various site modifiers with a negative pad elevation to no avail along with moving the site map up on the Z scale to keep those numbers positive and not getting anywhere.  I could convert the site map into a different type of 3D object and use 3D modeling tools but that seems unnecessary and certainly looses all the benefits to a site model.   

Appreciate any direction from those of you more familiar with these tools or perhaps a link to a video out there that I may have missed

Thanks in advance

Andrew Cass

Someone with more Site Model experience than me should probably chime in, but one thing you need to know is that Site Models don't support undercut areas.  So if your basement has a larger footprint than your building you won't be able to run the site model up the the building foundation.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Andrew Cass said:

I have tried various site modifiers

Including Retaining Edge? You need to set the pad elevation to 6 foot below ground level then run Send to Surface + choose 'Fit the retaining edge' then update the Site Model.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Including Retaining Edge? You need to set the pad elevation to 6 foot below ground level then run Send to Surface + choose 'Fit the retaining edge' then update the Site Model.

Tom,

Thank you for this input. I figured there was a tool to do this but when I do that I get what looks like a pad with a top on it (photo attached) instead of the hole I need.  I must be missing something here.  

Something I am considering now is that my site model is not deep enough for the -6' until I do the site modifier.  Meaning the bottom layer of my site model is at 0' but is only 1 foot deep.    Photo attached of the side view of my site model before I do the modifier.  

Screenshot 2024-02-15 123330.png

side view.png

Edited by Andrew Cass
added photo

Solved.

It seems I was doing this correctly all along but it doesn't visualize correctly in 3D style: 3D extruded contours.   As soon as I changed the style to any of the other types I could see it clearly right away (photo attached). 

Thanks the help here.   much appreciated.

Andrew Cass

3D Mesh.png

30 minutes ago, Andrew Cass said:

Solved.

It seems I was doing this correctly all along but it doesn't visualize correctly in 3D style: 3D extruded contours.   As soon as I changed the style to any of the other types I could see it clearly right away (photo attached). 

Thanks the help here.   much appreciated.

Andrew Cass

If your excavation is less than or near your contour interval, it's won't show up in "3D extruded contours".  If it's deeper than the interval, it certainly should.

ScreenShot2024-02-15at13_29_37.thumb.png.b3b9e041da5f3ff934df5f1c8a96109e.png

• Like 1