Misbehaving class style - Bug or user error?

NoemiM

Question

Hi again, I am working towards polishing our workflow, and this an issue we experience regularly: 

- We have assigned a style (Fill, Pen, Line thickness, etc) to each of the classes we use regularly across the company.  

- Often, we would start drawing the first concept in 'None' and then assign each element to their class (=Hedge, swimming pool, paving, etc etc). Each of those classes have their own fill colour etc)

- In the majority of the cases, we are able to change the object style as we assign it to the preferred class (eg object turns green when assigned to 'hedge')

- HOWEVER, in some random projects/days (like today!), the object style remains the one assigned to 'None' with some classes. EGthe style assigned to 'Hedge' doesn't work but 'Meadows' does 😳. They have been created in the same way! 

-  FILL / PEN options are already selected on 'Class Style' and the classes have the 'assign at creation' box selected.

Video attached. Thanks for your help. Keen to get to the bottom of this one! 
Noemi 

6 answers to this question

You need to make sure that the Polylines have their colour set to be by class in the Attributes palette. At the moment the Fill + Pen are set to be by class but not the fill colour (or much else for that matter). Click on the 'hamburger' menu + 'Make all attributes by class'. The reason why when you assign them to the Meadows class they take on the class fill is because that class uses a Gradient + the objects are set to have gradient by class.

So: just make sure you always have all attributes by class for your objects.

• Like 1

And you have to check that really all related Classes have "Use at creation" checked.

AFAIK otherwise Objects brought over from other Classes will not adapt to new Class

Attributes.

And AFAIR in such cases where Objects are set by Object, VW will throw a warning

and ask what to do. Change to by Class or .... (?)

Hi @Tom W.
the 'Make attributes by class' down the hamburger menu worked a treat, thank you very much! 

I am not sure what you mean, though, by 'make sure that the Polylines have their colour set to be by class in the Attributes palette' and the 'the Fill + Pen is set to be by class but not the fill colour'. Can you please expand if you have the chance? I assumed that having 'Class Style' selected in the Fill/Pen sections of the Attribute box would have done the trick? I cannot spot any difference between the Meadow and the Hedge set up. 
Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, NoemiM said:

I am not sure what you mean, though, by 'make sure that the Polylines have their colour set to be by class in the Attributes palette' and the 'the Fill + Pen is set to be by class but not the fill colour'.

Sure:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.5821cbdc0b47f81e87a5025abf951c00.jpg

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.86d2f92e4eefff31596ff29c5a2f9fea.jpg

Gradients were set up to be by class, which is why Meadows class worked, but colours weren't.

• Like 1