Do design layers have coordinates?

I've noticed this a handful of times before (far from often), but now it's become problematic. In this instance I've drafted (4) sections that are aligned horizontally. I've placed each on individual 1/4" layers. So to be clear, when I have all (4) layers on the sections are aligned. Then I zoom in so that I see (2) sections (which again, are on individual layers). I'll then need to change the layer to work on the associated section drawing. But the screen view coordinate changes. So I guess my question is, are there screen view coordinates associated w/ design layers?

Thanks, Steven. I can recreate the anomaly, so I believe it's a setting as you mentioned. Again, it's only happened on a few projects. And today an anomaly that's also related to the coordinates. I'm copying and posting in-place a multitude of objects into a file, each on different layers set at a 1/4". All but one layer has the objects locations in the paste file located perfectly. And one layer has the location of multiple objects completely off.

Long shot, similar to georef idea, but

Maybe the source file of the mislocated objects is the problem? Rather than the target file? Here is one scenario :

If the source file Unified View>Ignore layers of different scale  is disabled, or if the Unified View is disabled, a view of several layers could show apparently properly located objects, even with one layer at different scale.  But it would be a deception, and difficult to achieve! The different layer would be zoomed and panned, and objects arranged so that the contained objects appear proper size and location relative each other, AND to objects in the other layers. This would be a fragile arrangement - ANY change to view (pan/zoom/3d view) in any of the layers would destroy the deception. Anyway, Paste in Place from that off scale layer would produce your anomaly if layers in target file are all same scale and Unified View is enabled.

Whew! Reminds me of a painter I met who was attempting to paint various shades of “white” on the various planes of his sagging plaster/lath kitchen ceiling. Goal was to have it appear a uniform color at night when the center, twin bulb incandescent fixture was only light source in the room. Wasn’t going well. 

-B

• Like 1

Yes, Alex. Imagine I'm reviewing several items (ie details) that are on separate design layers that are the same scale. I'll select one scale after another to work on, but I want to have the adjacent details (on different design layers) visible. Then I select a layer and my sheet view moves 100'. Not the end of the world, but frustrating doing this over and over.

Benson your thorough response is much appreciated. I tried to hang in there and work this through on a project, but it's beyond me. For what it's worth, this is not a new glitch and I've seen it across versions 2022 and 2023 and different Mac hardware.  

I'm not sure I entirely understand your setup. Originally it sounded like you were just having the issue in the design layers, but in your more recent replies you mention a sheet view too.  Is it possible to share an example file?

Things I would check - 

1. What's the state of the origin in the file? Are you using the internal origin only or is there a user origin as well? In my experience, moving the origin can cause a lot of weirdness.
  2. If you are using sheet layers, be aware the sheets can be moved. If they've been moved it can cause things to feel weird, especially when navigating between design layers and sheet layers. If you double click on the Page Move tool while on a sheet layer, it will reset the page position.

Kevin

• Like 1

Sheet view was a poor choice of words... I think I meant "page" view, as in the extents of the window I'm working on. But it's a design layer issue I'm troubleshooting. And I've noticed it more often. I'll have to try and note a file so that maybe I can share a video... if that even translates/shows the problem. I'll try to make an example file, as well. I wouldn't know how to change the origin if you asked.

Just noticed something... I still have to consider the implications. As I cycle through the layers the "page" view moves (100%) to include an item(s)... so it seems a layer will not open in a blank view if items are on that layer. Instead it changes the view to see objects. Again, these are 2D sections in line horizontally, so I wouldn't notice it if I was looking at say a layer stacked floor plan.