Another post about story bound error

Iainy1961

Question

I have looked at the posts regarding this error, I have tried to follow the help offered but I just can't find where to turn on story aware. Most of the posts say right click in the resource manager but I get no options there. In the OIP. same thing. I have the furniture class selected. I know this fix is probably something simple to those who know, but once again, I just want to do what should be such a simple thing, and I have spent three hours trying to find out how to place a sofa in a room.  

Thank you, Iain

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 08.58.09.png

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 08.57.57.png

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 08.57.48.png

8 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Iainy1961 said:

Most of the posts say right click in the resource manager but I get no options there.

You need to import the symbol into the active file before you can edit it. You are right-clicking on the symbol in the VW Libraries hence you're not seeing 'Edit Symbol Options...'

All the 'This symbol is using a story bound [etc]' alert means is that the symbol you are inserting is set up to use Stories but you are inserting it into a file that doesn't have any Stories. You can just ignore it if you want. It shouldn't affect your ability to use the symbol. But by all means, edit the symbol options + disable 'Story aware' if you'd rather not see the alert.

Oh my god. All the post I read said to make a furniture class. That's what I did. But the furniture decided to go into the none class. Even though the OIP said the object was in the furniture class. This program is asinine on the highest level.   Thank you so much. 

The None class should never really be made invisible. If you edit the symbol in question you will see that the 2D + 3D geometry inside it is in the None class. If you never turn None off you won't have any issues. But having it set up like this allows you to assign the geometry inside symbols to various other classes should you want to, which is very useful. The class the symbol itself is in is the container class. The same principle applies to many other objects in VW: Doors, Windows, Walls, Slabs, etc. Everything really.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Iainy1961 said:

This program is asinine on the highest level.

I agree.

But in this case this makes sense for advanced Visibility control.

I also make use of Symbol Master/Container Classes, or at least for furniture,

something you often entirely want to have out of the way when modeling.

And just like I like to have Classes AND Layers for Visibility control,

I also make use of PIO Container Objects Classes vs PIO Object Classes.

E.g. to be able to either show only all Wall Objects vs all Objects made of concrete.

The same applies for me for Symbols.

So for me the Symbol Content in most cases uses other Classes than the Symbol

container itself.

And, especially for secondary Symbols that you may bring in from VW libraries,

it is great that their Symbol content usually always uses the "none" Class and

have Materials assigned by Object (not by Classes).

As it would be a nightmare if those library objects would pollute your File/Office

Class standards by constantly bringing in their own special Classes.

(VW itself constantly pollutes your Class standard already enough with Classes

named "sill", "glazing clear" .... if you don't watch.

And not even using proper upper case naming ...)

• Like 2