Wall Joining - Challenge

So

Attached is a file which has two corner walls on.

The one on the left was created with a Style that includes the External Cladding installed onto Vertical battens, and Internal Plasterboard installed onto battens to create a service void. The wall is constructed using SIPs with the internal and external finishes installed. I created a wall style that includes all the components.

The one on the right is how it should look. This was created using a wall style for the SIP alone, (Structural Insulated Panel), and then the External Finish and Internal finish were modelled separately. As can be appreciated, this makes it a ball ache when inserting doors and windows.

The $64000 question is, I bet there is no way to achieve what is shown on the right with the Wall Style on the left?

If this is not possible, at least I know and I can stop wasting my time trying to sort it.

Kind regards

Mike

Practice 19 - Wall Joining.vwx

I often model the exterior siding separately to get the layout just right.  The trick (learned from @Jonathan Pickup) is to use the Extract Tool on the wall after you've placed your doors & windows.  This will give you a polygon with the cladding area that you can extrude & 3D model as needed.

Regarding your other thread regarding difficulties getting used to VW:  I don't think I could have made the transition to 3D in VW (I am a long time 2D user) as easily without @Jonathan Pickup's content.  You can find some of it on YouTube, but the paid course and membership content were invaluable.  I stopped subscribing once I felt I had the hang of it, but fully recommend it.  https://archoncad.com.  The certification courses on VW University were not available at the time, so I don't know if they'd be as useful, but they are free.

I hadn't looked at the attached file and assumed the discussion was about elevation drawings, not details.  @Michael Siggers, what are you trying to accomplish?  If it is to generate a large scale 2D detail by modeling in 3D, I think you're heading in the wrong direction.  I've found the 3D model can at best be used to generate underlays for large scale details, but I tend to draft the details from scratch in 2D.  The linked Youtube video is a good deep dive into detailing in VW.

Also, I think @Pat Stanford won the $64K bet.  I find the Component Join Tool interface really annoying, but it looks like Pat has mastered it.