Polylines not connected

JCD

Question

I have a set of contour lines that I traced from a pdf topographic resource.  Sometimes the line I draw stops and therefore I have several segments of the contour interval that are not connected.  This makes it difficult to convert to 3d from 2d.  I there any way I can connect unjoined poly lines?  Also is there a way to ensure that the poly line is always continuous when I am drawing it??

5 answers to this question

Not sure what you are creating, but if 3D is your goal, then you might be better served by using NURBS curves instead of Polyline.  

If you do, use "interpolated point mode", it closer resembles polyline, but both will work.  if you want a sharp corner, go to the modify tool in "tool sets" and in the upper header, select change vertex.  It will turn a round corner into a square corner.

31 minutes ago, JCD said:

This makes it difficult to convert to 3d from 2d.

Not necessarily.

As you can add 3D Polylines, or Segments of it, after you created

your DTM too, to proposed or existing, as much as you want.

3D Polylines are more of a help for the user to better understand what

is happening.

For the DTM these Polylines don't even need to flat on XY. You could

place them free in space if you want. Basically the DTM just cares about

their Points. You could also just spread Stakes or 3D points.

Edited by zoomer

In case the original question also included how to make sure Polylines are closed, see https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2024/eng/VW2024_Guide/Shapes1/Creating_polylines.htm:

5. Click the mouse at the start point to complete a closed polyline object (end point of the last segment is at the exact start point of the first segment), or double-click the mouse to complete an open polyline object (end point of the last segment is at a different location than the start point of the first segment).

Alternatively, after completing all but the final click, press the keyboard shortcut to automatically close the polyline. The shortcut also closes path-based objects, such as hardscapes and spaces, that function similarly to the Polyline tool. See Modifying special shortcuts to change the shortcut.

When drawing a polyline or path-based object, move the mouse in the direction of the next-to-last click and press the shortcut key before clicking; the software extrapolates the correct alignment and position for a 90° corner and places the final two clicks to complete the shape.

Untitled1-01222024-1127AM.thumb.png.7dfff1b1322007f4fbc9b864be6902e2.png

Edited by E|FA
  • Like 1