Drawing something small - a scale

seaholly

Question

Hi all

I am very, very new to Vectorworks so I apologise for what is going to seem like an extremely naive question. I am trying to draw something very small (measures around 450mm by 450, it's a cross section of a wall) and when I draw it, it's tiny, unless I obviously zoom in.  I've tried tweaking the measurements and scale but don't seem to be getting anywhere. Am I missing something in just a basic page set up? Eventually this will go to a Viewport, maybe it just adjusts and I have to work zoomed in!?

So grateful for any help!

3 answers to this question

Take a look at the VW Help on Layer Scales.

You can set the scale of any Design Layer to and scale you want. The scale basically works as a preset zoom factor. It does not matter what scale you have set, the information in the Object Info Palette (OIP) and the window rulers are always correct for the actual size of the object.

Each viewport also has its own scale. So you can draw something on a Design Layer at a different scale than you preset it in the viewport.

It sounds like you have your layer scale set to something relatively large maybe 1:50 or 1:100. If you are only drawing small things, then you probably want the Layer Scale set to something like 1:1 or 1:2.

You can change the Design Layer Scale by right clicking on a blank area of the screen and choosing Layer Scale from the popup menu. You can change the Viewport scale in the OIP when the viewport is selected.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, seaholly said:

Hi all

I am very, very new to Vectorworks so I apologise for what is going to seem like an extremely naive question. I am trying to draw something very small (measures around 450mm by 450, it's a cross section of a wall) and when I draw it, it's tiny, unless I obviously zoom in.  I've tried tweaking the measurements and scale but don't seem to be getting anywhere. Am I missing something in just a basic page set up? Eventually this will go to a Viewport, maybe it just adjusts and I have to work zoomed in!?

So grateful for any help!

Create a layer for drawing details at 1:5 or 1:10.