Ability to adjust a Background Image

Kevin K

Question

I believe this would be really great option when using an image for a background.

I recently designed a Boathouse and was imagining a nice background image of a Lake environment to put in the background for Rendering purposes.

I was having a difficult time finding an appropriate HDRI image, so I elected to search around online to try to find a panoramic image I thought would work well

as a background.

The issue is, there are no intuitive, easy controls for the placement of a background image in VW...like raising the 'Z' height of the image to, for example in my case, get

a realistic  horizon line, etc. for the lake water, and / or moving the image left or right to best suit the rendered scene.

I hate to bring this up, but Cinema 4d (a disctant cousin of VW  🙂  ) is able to do this very thing...even allowing to stretch, fit or crop the background image as well as match the overall camera exposure settings, all in realtime, so you can tweak things as you see fit .

It is really slick how it works.

Anyway....a valuable wishlist item,  seems to me.

Here is an example of what I am alluding to.  In c4d I was able to slightly adjust the background image of the lake to fit the rendering:

BHAcrossDriveway.thumb.jpg.2ecffe29f9d042c75d1cd117483f6f5e.jpg

• Like 2

6 answers to this question

Agreed. I took some panoramic photos a while back + made RW Backgrounds from them + ended up having to create countless duplicates of the Backgrounds, editing the rotation setting each time, then trying each one out in the VPs to see which worked best. A fairly painstaking + time consuming process. It would be great instead if you could tweak the background directly within the VP. Not sure if that's what your proposed enhancement would allow...

Tom

Exactly so !.

You can, of course, create an image prop of the particular image, but it still, as you noted, is a pain to spend a lot of time moving the image prop around to get it just right.

I usually go that route, but in. Cinema 4d it is so elegant and happens in realtime, on the fly.

I am not even implying doing this necessarily in a VP as a finished product, but rather setting a rendered view on a design layer, in shaded mode, and watching the results right in front of you in realtime. THEN if you like it, you can set up a viewport with appropriate RW settings for a final Rendering.

Again, in my case, I created quite a few Renderings for this project, interior and exterior, and it was necessary to move that original background image around a bit to get the desired results....

In case you are interested....a little slideshow of the various Renderings...

https://www.kskeys.com/boathouse