3D Model Breaking VW 2024

LongpreArch

Question

Hey Guys,

I am having a severe issue with a particular project that I am working on that is going to have to lead me to redo a clean file from scratch, but I thought I would ask for help anyway.

This model breaks when you add a slab to it. I have tried everything to isolate the issue but I cannot figure it out.

Here is an image of it before adding a slab:

Screenshot2023-12-19230844.thumb.png.ba48b92707716c8a8b00c6681d07e447.png

And After:

Screenshot2023-12-19230911sad.thumb.png.97cec667bf38f2f7deab9d937d6199cc.png

Nothing fixes it unless you delete the slab, but even then sometimes it just stays broken. When you copy it into a blank file it corrects itself. You also cannot see the Slab in 3D view, only in 2D. Then the whole file breaks down and many errors start occurring. 

Please let me know if you can fix this or if the problem is replicated on your computer. 

MESSED UP HOUSE.vwx

MESSED UP HOUSE.vwx

7 answers to this question

Your model is 500,000' feet from the origin.

Move the origin to the model or the model to the origin.

VW does not like things being more than about 4 km from the origin.  The symptoms you are showing are typical of objects far from the origin.

Also if you Select All and then Fit to Objects, I ends up zooming way out.  My guess is that you have other objects far from the origin in different directions.  Make sure you move or delete those also.

HTH

• Like 2

Thank you for pointing that out! I didn't realize the distance from the origin was so significant – it was indeed a foolish oversight on my part.

I've now adjusted the position and aligned it with the origin point as suggested. Unfortunately, the issue still seems to persist. Any further insights would be greatly appreciated!

At least the slabs show up now

Screenshot2023-12-20133124.thumb.png.105784704becad80b84ca13fd63c7bf0.pngScreenshot2023-12-20133548.thumb.png.e30c3a16d4dfffe653f6c88a5eeb5f52.png

27 minutes ago, LongpreArch said:

Unfortunately, the issue still seems to persist. Any further insights would be greatly appreciated!

You need to check the whole file for 'far out objects' like Pat said:

14 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Also if you Select All and then Fit to Objects, I ends up zooming way out.  My guess is that you have other objects far from the origin in different directions.  Make sure you move or delete those also.

Thanks, Pat,

I tried deleting all slabs from the project, and the problem remained, but when I deleted the closet doors on the second level... as my Vectorworks models often glitch out with doors on a regular basis. The project fixed itself. However, it's only when the closet door is added to the interior walls that the whole model breaks... so confusing. 

@LongpreArch

Hi, When i opened your file i too saw the file way off in the distance so i turned on all design layers and classes and moved it to the origin and made sure the user origin was set to the internal origin. Have moved all the doors around ad did not find any issues any more. If you still have issues close and reopen the file and see what happens

Also not sure why you are using the design layers the way you are?? I use design layers for say Site Plan, Ground floor , first floor and roof and all the items in the design layers are set as classes. Design layers are containers that contain classes like furniture walls windows etc see attached.

Good luck

Alan

Document.docx