Project Sharing Metadata

BG

We have just started working on a new project. The file is only about 50mb.

We received a message today saying that the metadata is too large.  We have only just started, are we going to get this on a regular basis as it's a bit of a pain?

Is there anyway to prevent this happening?

image.thumb.png.27dfd9fa71f946d6a0b4474377a574c4.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 2:23 AM, jblock said:

@BG can you send me a copy of the .vwxp file so I can investigate?

Hi Joseph

This message popped up again yesterday.

Did you have a look at the file?

What causes this to happen?

Thanks

Brett

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@BG Can you send me a version of the file where the metadata is large (before you clear it)? It looks like the version of the file you sent before was not in the problem state. I apologize for the delay, I missed the notification for your previous comment.

Just now, jblock said:

@BG Can you send me a version of the file where the metadata is large (before you clear it)? It looks like the version of the file you sent before was not in the problem state. I apologize for the delay, I missed the notification for your previous comment.

We've just cleared it unfortunately, so will have to wait until it pops up again.

Thanks

Brett

• Like 1
On 1/19/2024 at 10:59 AM, jblock said:

Hi Joseph

Just got the same message again.

Here's a link to the project file before the Metadata has been cleared.  https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8j6wpt10ahu7x5asjb65v/2311-WD01.02.vwxp?rlkey=m0oesrrd9289t4ccacyc9qxso&dl=0

Thanks

Brett

• 2 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There's two things that accumulate in the Project File. The more of it there is, the bigger the file gets, and the slower it is to copy the data back and forth during checkouts, which means that the checkout itself gets slower. And refresh, and commit, etc.

One is the history that you can see on the History tab of the Project Sharing dialog. It's purely for humans, if they care, and there's a button on the history pane that you can clear any time you feel like. It can also be cleared as part of the metadata process mentioned by your screenshot.

The second item is detail on all changes by all users, ever. This gets used to know what objects to reconcile when you Refresh in a specific Working File. The project doesn't know what old un-refreshed working files might be out there, so there's no way for it to self-manage expiring and deleting the older change lists.  During the metadata cleanup all the old change lists get wiped and that's why everyone needs to refresh first or grab new working files after.

VW2024 is tracking more detail, so these lists are getting bigger, faster. In Update 4 we bumped the trigger for this dialog from 50k to 200k, so you should see it a bit less often again, and only minimal difference in filesize or delays between Update 3 and Update 4 at the fullest point before the dialog shows.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2024 at 9:21 AM, Rick Berge said:

There's two things that accumulate in the Project File. The more of it there is, the bigger the file gets, and the slower it is to copy the data back and forth during checkouts, which means that the checkout itself gets slower. And refresh, and commit, etc.

One is the history that you can see on the History tab of the Project Sharing dialog. It's purely for humans, if they care, and there's a button on the history pane that you can clear any time you feel like. It can also be cleared as part of the metadata process mentioned by your screenshot.

The second item is detail on all changes by all users, ever. This gets used to know what objects to reconcile when you Refresh in a specific Working File. The project doesn't know what old un-refreshed working files might be out there, so there's no way for it to self-manage expiring and deleting the older change lists.  During the metadata cleanup all the old change lists get wiped and that's why everyone needs to refresh first or grab new working files after.

VW2024 is tracking more detail, so these lists are getting bigger, faster. In Update 4 we bumped the trigger for this dialog from 50k to 200k, so you should see it a bit less often again, and only minimal difference in filesize or delays between Update 3 and Update 4 at the fullest point before the dialog shows.

I am now getting this pop up error message.

We've been using project files for years, since they were introduced, and this is the first time I'm seeing this. OK I accept that 24 is tracking more data and needs more space,, but I am on 4 and just started getting this.

The pop up tells me to run the utility, but when I do it just gives me the pop up back at me.

So we're stuck in this doom loop.

I submitted a ticket but no one has responded yet.

My next move is to call tech support and see if they can help.