Site model appearance with curved modifiers.

JonKoch

So I have a couple of retaining wall site modifiers that are curved and the "curve" is made up of a bunch of small straight lines. This results in a ton of small triangles when it re-grades the site model. I then placed a landscape area with a grass texture that has some displacement on it. When I render that out in final quality renderworks with shadows etc... from a renderworks background, it renders the grass and you can see those triangles. I've attached a couple of screenshots. 

My question is: Is there a way to smooth this out in the model so the grass renders correctly? Maybe I need to adjust the bump settings for the displacement? I've found grass to really bog down the rendering time when I am trying to produce final renders and they come out wonky with the site model issue I described above. 

Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at 4.27.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at 4.27.43 PM.png

@Kevin K Those were final quality renderworks with a renderworks sky background. 

I performed a survey myself with an emlid base and rover. I surveyed all the existing conditions and took a bunch of spot elevations. But maybe not enough?  Basically I import all of the points and let vectorworks interpolate the data to make the contours. When I import the data, I use "Import Survey File" and import the CSV which is what the Emlid software outputs. So unlike a normal survey that I get from a surveyor, there aren't any Polys drawn for contours. I'm not sure if there's a way that I can draw my own poly's to use as contours and use the spots as supplemental data. 

Jon

Ok, got ya.

Yes, you would probably need to have a lot more spot elevations to mitigate some of the issues you are having.

I am not familiar with the Emlid software, so that is greek to me 🙂

You can draw your own polys using two methods...

1) go to the settings for the site model and select 'recreate from source data' and you can add any 3d data you wish

2) double click the site model and select 'Edit Site Model Contours', either existing or proposed, and you will get this dialogue box:

Screenshot2023-12-13at2_12_11PM.png.9504bfe17d6cc1a2a0de9c175bc1cb8d.png

Just chose the Site Model Contour, and you can draw your own.

You just need to be mindful if you use this option that you are not crossing over or violating existing counter data.

Just curious....would you be willing to upload that file so I could take a gander at it? I may be able to make some constructive suggestions....or not 🙂

8 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

Jon

Ok, got ya.

Yes, you would probably need to have a lot more spot elevations to mitigate some of the issues you are having.

I am not familiar with the Emlid software, so that is greek to me 🙂

You can draw your own polys using two methods...

1) go to the settings for the site model and select 'recreate from source data' and you can add any 3d data you wish

2) double click the site model and select 'Edit Site Model Contours', either existing or proposed, and you will get this dialogue box:

Screenshot2023-12-13at2_12_11PM.png.9504bfe17d6cc1a2a0de9c175bc1cb8d.png

Just chose the Site Model Contour, and you can draw your own.

You just need to be mindful if you use this option that you are not crossing over or violating existing counter data.

Just curious....would you be willing to upload that file so I could take a gander at it? I may be able to make some constructive suggestions....or not 🙂

Hey Kevin, 

Yeah I've used the recreate from source data before and added spot elevations, my only thing is that I can't really draw accurate contours you know? The emlid just shoots spot elevations of different features, as a normal surveyor would do. Again, I probably haven't shot enough points to make a smoother model. 

18 hours ago, bcd said:

I believe the current recommended workflow is to place a matrix of 3d loci in the vicinity>Send to Site Mode and then cut>paste in place in the source data.

see:

Ok, so I've somewhat figured this out, but I am trying to refine the proposed site model so if I put these 3D loci in the source data, won't that affect the existing model? 

Select them all then

Landmark>Send to Surface before Cut&Paste in Place into the source data - they won't change the geometry of the Site Model but will allow it to add localized tessellation which should help with the issue you're seeing

Edited by bcd
  • Like 1