Hatching in section views instead of black filling.

Amarin

Hello!

Can smw explain how to show the hatching in section views? The cut elemens are completely black. I read that I need to change class settings, but I dont understand class of what? Of walls? Or layouts? I can't find anything that control the visibility of hatching in class settings. Can swm make screenshots step by step? Thanks. 

Screenshot2023-12-13at17_11_17.jpg.cb626dd60fc2de227f8a877150e53874.jpg

If you want a basic section with everything that's sectioned hatched, use:

- Merge Cross Sections

- Then where it says "Attribute class" there is a dropdown where yo can choose a class. In my example above you can see I've chosen "cut plane grey". That's a class I've set up with a thick lineweight and a grey fill. You can see I could also choose "cut plane" which is one I've set up just to have a white fill. You can make your own class with the lineweight and fill type you want. So in your case you can make one with your chosen hatch as a fill.

- Alternatively, as @markdd says, by default it'll use a pre-made class called "Section Style" which you can find in the class organisation dialogue, and edit to have the kind of fill attribute that you want.

If you want a section where the individual components are picked out, then choose "Separate cross sections" and *don't* tick "use attributes of original objects". Then it's the same again - choose your desired class in the Attribute Class dropdown, or edit the default "Section Style" class.

Vectorworks names this default class "Section Style" just to try and confuse us, because "style" has a specific meaning within VW but this is not a style - it's a class. They could name it in a way that helped users understand what was going on, but that's not how they roll.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Vectorworks names this default class "Section Style" just to try and confuse us, because "style" has a specific meaning within VW but this is not a style - it's a class. They could name it in a way that helped users understand what was going on, but that's not how they roll.

Section Viewports and the Section Style class were created long before there were "Styles" and styled objects in VW.

It is always a balancing act between making learning easier and not changing things that are known and understood by the existing user base. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Section Viewports and the Section Style class were created long before there were "Styles" and styled objects in VW.

It is always a balancing act between making learning easier and not changing things that are known and understood by the existing user base. 🤷‍♂️

Sure it's a balancing act but I don't think the balance is right in this software. I believe there are multiple things like this, throughout the VW user interface, that could be changed in a managed way, if there were some kind of co-ordinated overview of usability issues including terminology consistency.

There are other applications I use where this kind of thing is dealt with via alerts of some kind, that let the user know something's been moved or renamed.

15 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Select the Section Viewport and at the bottom of the Object Info Palette (OIP) click the button for Advanced Properties.

You probably want the Separate Cross Sections and Use Attributes of Original Objects.

Thank you very much! Would never solve this myself.