Two things about Renderworks Styles

Tom W.

Number 1: is it only me who thinks you should be able to access RW Styles saved in your Favorites direct from the 'Background Render' drop-down in the OIP for a viewport? This catches me out every time. You first have to import the resource into the active file, then it will appear in this drop-down (I realise I could save the styles to my user folder instead but Favorites is fine for every other resource).

Number 2: I have two files open, both with VPs using a particular RW Style. I edit the style in one file then export it to the second file so that the style (+ VP/s using it) are updated too but the edited settings are not transferred over. Likewise, I export the edited style to my Favorites folder, expecting the new version to replace the existing version (as would be the case with any other resource) but the replacement doesn't happen.

Just wondered what others who use RW Styles more than me think about it...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Tom W. said:

You first have to import the resource into the active file

Alternatively you could include the RW style in your template file(s). But I could see that having direct access to RW styles in your Favorites would be a welcome improvement. 

What you describe in No. 2 sounds like a bug. As you said, when you import a RW style into a file which already has the same named RW style, it should ask to replace / rename it. That is the expected behavior with any other Vw resources having the same name. @Dave Donley - does this behavior sound like a bug?

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, rDesign said:

Alternatively you could include the RW style in your template file(s).

I think that was the first thing I added when creating a custom template.

Nevertheless I wonder so often how many not-from-my-template-Files

I have to open and really need to again import my Render Style(s)

from one of my own files ......

So it would not be that bad to have an option to edit VW's delivered default

Render Styles (?) on App level ....

9 hours ago, zoomer said:

I think that was the first thing I added when creating a custom template.

I tend not to save resources in my template files unless they are ones I know I'm going to use in each + every file + even then, it's just as easy to find them in Favorites as it is the active file so not sure there's any advantage. RW Styles are probably the resources I use the least so they'd be sitting in each + every file most likely unused, taking up space unnecessarily, plus I'd have to protect them from being deleted each time I ran Purge.

I think what I need to do is save the styles in my user folder, then they will be immediately accessible from the OIP, I am just wondering why you can't access RW styles in Favourites from the OIP like you can every other object/resource as far as I know e.g. if you have a Wall, Slab, Roof, etc you can replace the style from the OIP; a symbol you can replace with another from the OIP; an object's texture you can replace from the OIP; etc.

• Like 1