worksheet question re: cabinets

Hi All,

Is anyone aware of a worksheet criteria that would allow the extraction of square footage (or square inches, whatever) of cabinet doors and/or drawer fronts?

I can ballpark this with cabinet width and height, however, on this project, I have a significant number of "two sided" cabinets, and it would be convenient to extract the 

square footage of those parts for estimating purposes, also possibly extract numbers for different door materials such as solid slab, shaker, or glassfront..

Thanks!

Edited by dtheory
  • dtheory changed the title to worksheet question re: cabinets

Yes.

Probably.

Mostly.

Here's an example on slab doors and drawers that actually works.

To make it work:

1. Put the doors and drawers in a class.
  2. In the criteria look for extrudes in that class.  Include objects that are part of Plug-in objects
  3. Get the volume of those extrudes.  Divide by the thickness of the doors.
  4. Do any necessary foot/inch math if using imperial units.
  5. Sort by area.
  6. Summarize by area
  7. divide the count by 3

That's kind of weird.  The cabinet tool makes 3 duplicate doors and drawers.  At least with slab doors and drawers.

Door Area.vwx

Interesting factoid about cabinet objects.

If the drawer door type is Shaker Frame then the frame is drawn at the Door/Drawer Thickness in the OIP,  but the panel is 3/16".  I don't see any way to change that.  

So you could search for extrudes of the door/drawer then use =LENGTH, =DEPTH, =WIDTH.

=LENGTH will return the thickness of the door panel.  The other two will be the dimensions of the panel.

If the door/drawer is one of the shakers the panel is only between the frame, no inset.  The other dimensions are the frame or panel dimensions.

There's very probably a way to use the height and width of the cabinet and subtract the kick and the top, bottom, side, center, and mid reveals.  

The tricky part would be getting all the infinitely possible face frame configurations to count how many doors, drawers and mid and center reveals there are.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, michaelk said:

There's very probably a way to use the height and width of the cabinet and subtract the kick and the top, bottom, side, center, and mid reveals.  

The tricky part would be getting all the infinitely possible face frame configurations to count how many doors, drawers and mid and center reveals there are.

This is what I was thinking. 

I was also thinking that then you could use ='Cabinets'.'BoxType' in one column to return whether cabinet is standard or double-sided, =IFS(B2='Double-sided', '2', B2='Standard', '1') in the next column to return a '1' for all the standard cabinets + a '2' for all the double-sided cabinets, then in a third column use those '1's + '2's to multiply the door area calculated elsewhere to account for the double-sided cabinets.

I have just tried this + it works but =IFS(B2='Double-sided', '2', B2='Standard', '1') returns a string so I had to convert it into a number before I could use it in a calculation. I did this in a new column using =VALUE(C2) but could I have included something in the =IFS(B2='Double-sided', '2', B2='Standard', '1') formula so that it returned a number from the outset + didn't need to be performed as a second operation in a new column?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

If you dont' put the quote marks around '2' and '1' then it should be able to return a number instead of a string.

Perfect thank you!!!

4 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Or put the =Value(IFS(.........)) so you can get it all in one cell.

Ditto!

3 hours ago, michaelk said:

If you're actually building cabinets, you might want to check out

https://www.extragroup.com

I'm familiar with Interiorcad.. I've been an owner, but can't really justify the purchase since they've raised prices..  I do design build, and cabinets are a part of what I do, but not the main thing, hence the need for estimating..

Edited by dtheory
  • Like 1