Holes in log walls

Garry Dreger

Question

9 answers to this question

Garry, here's how I would do it (and yes, it's a pain in the you know what!): go to isometric view and select the logs one (or more) at a time then go to top plan view and drag them (they'll look rectangles?) to meet the openings that you've defined (with extruded rectangles?). If you can find a better way I'd be happy to know about it. PLC

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Garry Dreger:
I've "constructed" a wall made of 16" dia. extruded circles.[a log wall] .I would like to cut door and window sized openings. Anyone?

You could use Add Solids to combine the logs together, and then use subtract solids to subtract an object the size of the door or window. Or, if you have the 3-D PowerPack, you could use the "Project and Trim" tool to cut the appropriate outline.

Thanks Andrew, for the suggestion. I've tried the first method and it doesn't work. Something about non- planar polygons. What does work uses the 3d power pack, and of course it's very simple.Here it is--

1] create the log wall

2] convert to nurbs

3]ungroup

4]add solids

5]place an extruded shape thru the wall

6] subtract solids

and there it is , a hole in the wall.

Thanks to the 3dpp- pdf and the hat tutorial.

I will try your second suggestion soon. Today was my first ,working with 3dpp, and it solved the problem quite nicely.

If we Had say "wall system" tool or plug in object type, that could handle the wall openings and the like, but allowed for the wall to made up of a collection of wall skins or gridded objects. This would be of big benefit for all those common other wall type such as log, straw, metal panelling, glass,..... It would also allow for more interesting forms of the standard construction methods.