Sidewalk and road border (Bordure T4)

vassen

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on site modelling and placing all my design work directly on the site model.

I would like to know how you guys proceed to create Sidewalk or road border as shown in the capture screen attached?

Before i was doing extrude long, but this way function only if it's on a straight line.

In my case it has to follow the site model as in the Vectorworks file attached.

Thanks for your kind advice and help

800x800-t4-schéma.png

Exemple.zip

Exemple1.jpg

5 hours ago, vassen said:

ttached you will get the VW in zip.

Hi Vassen

Unfortunately, I am still unable to open this file.  I have a current version of VW 2022, but for some reason VW doesn't recognize the file.

If you wish to try again with exporting out a 2021, I will try again also.  

See error messages below

Perhaps someone else knows why it won't open.

regards.....Paul

ScreenShot2023-09-15at9_01_45AM.thumb.png.7fe07f30fe64a1bd7abaed33210c83a5.png

ScreenShot2023-09-15at9_02_05AM.thumb.png.f4acea1065ec4d590cb0cc9f1542b051.png

On 9/14/2023 at 1:11 AM, vassen said:

@Jonathan Pickup When converting to 3D polys it does not work on complex path like corner.

I have try to send to surface before extruding alone path or before, in both case it does not work for me.

It came with an error.

May be i am not doing the write thing.

Error.png

How you approach this comes down to the intended final results....

A BIM like model for documentation or a fairly realistic depiction for Visualization, pick one.

Vectorworks isn't suited to do satisfy both conditions particularly well without duplicated effort and breaking the BIM workflow.

If you do not need to depict the curb profile in your model, you could use your hardscape's border function to get a rectangular representation and then refer to details for construction documentation.  This could get you close enough for most visualization purposes too as the curb will act just like the sidewalk's configuration in 3D.

If you need the exact modeling of the curb for visualization purposes, then you need to Extrude Along a Path or similar modeling.

The reason your curb didn't extrude is probably due to the method the curve was drawn.  If you converted your hardscape to a polyline, there will be a bunch of segments and vertices depicting the curve, but it's hard to say until you explain what you did.  If you trace the mesh representation of the hardscape hardscape with a NURBS curve in 3D, you will have a nice path to use for an EAP, but this will take some effort to draw and won't update if you change your hardscapes.

NURBS to EAP compared against the Boarder option of your Hardscape.

curbs.thumb.png.b35e78610fc4afa8cf4624744ad10414.png

I wonder if the new and improved Fence tool, something I have not tried yet, could be of assistance.  Curbs, fences, and site walls always require so many work arounds after all these years one would think the idea of Landscape BIM that's been pushed for so long is pretty much dead...

Hope it helps...

• Like 3

@Jeff Prince

I have draw a polyline ==> converted into 3D polys ==> send to surface on the site modelling ==> extrude along paths ==> to get my Curbs

But this does not work on every occasions, i guess it it's because of too many vertices.

On some occasion i have to copy it on another file so that i can use the method describe on the first line.

I will try the method of the using the border from the hardscape to see if its ok with presentation.

Concerning the NURBS curve i have not yet try it.

I need to try both method you mention and see if goes well

Will keep you posted about the outcome from my part.

Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1