smart point on extrude

ddcpe

created a circle then a square with rounded corners normal to the plane of the circle.  Then extruded the circle along the square as the path.  All went well but now the extrude has no snap points.  No edges or corners or centers...nothing.  Anybody got a clue why?  Makes it hard to drag the object around and place it accurately.

29 minutes ago, line-weight said:

I seem to be able to find snap points on such an object.

I found the same snap points as Line-weight until I used an absolute square with symmetrical corners.  This produced the object below that is different from the one I posted earlier.  I cannot snap to this one.  I think I know why, with a perfect square VW's programming does not produce extra curves to complete the object.  The extra curves produce the snap points......I think.

If you notice on my previous post and Line-weights, there are two curves for each corner where the one above has only one curve on each side of the corners.  This seems to produce a different object.

If this object is to remain "as is" and not modified, there is a simple solution to get the snap points you want.

ScreenShot2023-09-11at9_12_09AM.png.80e2e8b5ec5200d2a31dedb1d6f49195.png

Edited by VIRTUALENVIRONS
  • Like 2

That is what I made.  Precisely I used a circle with solid fill with a 3/8" diameter.  It was created in the top (x,y) plane then rotated to the y,z plane.  The sqaure was created in the x,y plane with a 17.25" side length then the corners were rounded using the filet tool with a 1"diameter.  The square was then located so one of the edges was coincident with the center of the circle.  Then extrude along path and I got what you show.  No snapping properties at all no matter what combinations of snap settings used.  Also tried the brute force of closing and reopening VW to no avail.  Tried to insert a locus noted in previous email but that didn't work.  I finally had to start over and my solution was to create the locus with the square then do the extrude.  Now the locus existed as a separate object that I could group with the extrude to have a handle.  Should be an easier solution.  FYI, hat I am modeling is a some dumb little #3 hoops for some reinforcement.  Just want to be sure what I specify can be built.

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, ddcpe said:

Should be an easier solution

There may be other solutions to your object, there usually is.  Good to hear you found a way.  I would do the following to solve this issue.  Assuming the shape remains the same.

See images below.

First, split the shape until you only have one quarter.

Second, split it again on a 90 degree angle.

ScreenShot2023-09-11at12_19_07PM.png.cc455f2c395e31130f8c69f79a1e30ed.png

Third, use mirror object to rebuild the shape and then group it. This will leave you with snap points on the corners and sides.

ScreenShot2023-09-11at12_21_34PM.png.2bdfbed26e5ad728001f3c43c1068086.png

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, ddcpe said:

That is what I made.  Precisely I used a circle with solid fill with a 3/8" diameter.  It was created in the top (x,y) plane then rotated to the y,z plane.  The sqaure was created in the x,y plane with a 17.25" side length then the corners were rounded using the filet tool with a 1"diameter.  The square was then located so one of the edges was coincident with the center of the circle.  Then extrude along path and I got what you show.  No snapping properties at all no matter what combinations of snap settings used.  Also tried the brute force of closing and reopening VW to no avail.  Tried to insert a locus noted in previous email but that didn't work.  I finally had to start over and my solution was to create the locus with the square then do the extrude.  Now the locus existed as a separate object that I could group with the extrude to have a handle.  Should be an easier solution.  FYI, hat I am modeling is a some dumb little #3 hoops for some reinforcement.  Just want to be sure what I specify can be built.

Thanks,

If I create an EAP to your exact dimensions I get the same shape + snaps as @line-weight so not sure why you're getting a non-snappable object...

If this is a steel reinforcement hoop + you're using it multiple times, I would suggest making a symbol from it rather than a Group. You can still include 3D Loci as part of the symbol geometry to aid snapping/insertion: if you assign them to a 'non plot' class so you can easily hide them when you don't need to see them.

• Like 1