Sloped Floor

30 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Thanks Paul it's how you 'extracted the path for the seats' that I'm interested in. When you referred to 'an extract curve or isoparm' I assumed you meant the third mode of the Extract Tool:

Screenshot2023-08-14at14_58_23.png.5a1244dd6a31bde8484b666e107ce51b.png

But this creates a straight line in plan:

Screenshot2023-08-14at14_59_39.thumb.png.9dd39febb06a36075a03011a846cf7c0.png

Whereas we need a curved line in plan. I thought using Duplicate Along Path to place the seats in a curved line across the concave floor surface sounded like a great idea but I don't know how you generated the NURBS Curve path. Do the blue cubes follow the surface of the floor exactly or did you just extract the front edge?

Thanks!

Could it be as simple as creating a horizontal plane the cuts through the bowl then finding your curve with analysis?

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I suspect you may need a combination of the techniques discussed and horizontal surfaces.

In AU, we tend to have challenging accessibility requirements. I am interested to know:

• What are your accessibility requirements for the theatre seating, esp around the egress points and the stairs?
  • Also, for the aisle gradient, do you require intermediate landings to ensure wheelchair compatibility?

For example, in AU we would most likely require an aisle profile as per attached.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 9.37.27 am.png

I am floored by the convos that have stirred here. Guys, thank you for all the tips and thought processes you guys have brought to the table. I honestly paused on this file as I had other projects that needed attention. I have attached the VW file I am using. The seats are currently (according to the measurements from the architect, are fairly accurate in terms of height/slope. 

Here is a google photo link that has a panoramic image of the room.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP5PUCniktitep2XmnKuF7yoJ7fvkt4oigf_H5jB0kci_66AE3SDMj-F1exvj7MUA/photo/AF1QipNtfFJRVLzLdgWr4nG9IH64bzvBeqteZhIRIWVz?key=LTEzaWRQNlBvZEYxNmFaNUFnQkxoYjBYb250dl9B

Hopefully that link gives you peeps who have been following this thread a bit more of a sense of what kind of slope I am working with. 

If you open the VW file, there are 2 design layers called floor 1 and floor 2, as I played with different ways of attempting to make the floor, mentally it was just easier to separate each concept/idea on a layer basis. 

For those asking, I am using Spotlight. 

CPVenue_Carmel.vwx

• Like 1