Section-Elevation Tool has weird red thing!

Annabel Bridge

Question

Hi, hopefully somebody can help, it's probablu a mystery class!

When I do a section line I have this weird red thing on my plan, it doesn't seem to make any difference if I add the line on a design layer or the sheet layer (not actually sure which is best practice).  How do I get rid of it?  
I've also put my OIP to see what settings I'm using
Many thanks in advance

image.png.83cafe40d8ccaba09b8752dc55a9a529.png  image.png.802115fd5b64c96554ea4fa6eb61807b.png

14 answers to this question

I always put them in the annotation space of viewports, along with Dimensions, Data Tags, Reference Markers, etc

If you have a Section Viewport you can at any time click on 'Section Line Instances' in the OIP + select which VPs you want the Section Line to appear in

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I always put them in the annotation space of viewports, along with Dimensions, Data Tags, Reference Markers, etc

Just beware that Interior Elevation Markers must be placed on Design Layers, unlike every other marker.  This is a ridiculous UI inconsistency.  Please vote up (top left of page) at 

4 minutes ago, E|FA said:

Any tricks to getting the section perimeter line around the space without showing the walls & slabs?  Hand drawn/traced in the Annotations?

I'd forgotten that was the difference if you did it using the 'Create Interior Elevation Viewport' command thank you. Ok that is quite important.

I show my interior elevations with the floor, ceiling + side walls as a solid black border (i.e. in section) + actually probably prefer this look but perhaps that goes against established conventions for interior views...?

1 hour ago, E|FA said:

This is an example of how I like to show interior elevations.  This happens to be drawn in 2D, rather than taken from a model.

INTELEVSAMPLE.thumb.png.07eca3db3492f2a15d9985bdc56ca27c.png

Very nice. And do you achieve the same when using the 'Create Interior Elevation Viewport' command on a model?

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

And do you achieve the same when using the 'Create Interior Elevation Viewport' command on a model?

I've actually been mostly drafting interiors as 2D given the issues with the Interior Elevation Marker, which is why I was curious how you use Create Section Viewport to create interior elevations.

10 hours ago, E|FA said:

which is why I was curious how you use Create Section Viewport to create interior elevations.

This is the kind of thing I'm doing for my interior elevations, created from the model on the sheet layer using 'Create Section VP' command:

Screenshot2023-07-22at07_41_40.thumb.png.a4089674516a5e8f2b06ba1bd8db4e48.png

Screenshot2023-07-22at07_42_56.thumb.png.d0849a9cf61affe34f79447a3e758801.png

I think I'll try a hybrid method.  Generate a Section Viewport like yours, trace the interior perimeter of the space in VP Annotations, then turn off the wall & slab Classes in VP overrides.  If needed, I would have to update the perimeter manually, but I have to do that now anyway.