Faceted Circles (inconsistently) in Viewports

S. Schmidt

Question

Circles rendering as faceted in viewports. Shaded render is most extreme with solid subtractions, but the extrudes are not that great either.  In Hidden line the problem fixes itself in two of the three viewports but the the far left is still faceted. These were all drawn the same way. I've checked the settings that I can find. Of course the problem is there are usually multiple settings scattered about that could be causing any given issue so who knows...

Screenshot2023-07-17195047.png.16f10bb3abfe9dc8a3b9e30716c68104.pngScreenshot2023-07-17194528.png.f805a2ca050d62dde29df00d013d41e6.png

5 answers to this question

6 hours ago, S. Schmidt said:

In Hidden line the problem fixes itself in two of the three viewports but the the far left is still faceted.

Is the VP in question a Section VP? If so, check 3D Conversion Resolution setting in Advanced Section Properties > Display tab. If set to Low curves will display facetted.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help here. It was both of these issues. 

Really frustrating that the setting defaults to Low... every single time you make a viewport.  

Between needing to fight the multiple resolution settings (viewport, camera, publish), and then the rendering detail which is buried in unintuitive locations... and then now learning that section viewports get their very own different render setting... and of course the service pack bug....

This is a bit much. There are too many settings buried and hidden away that affect something simple like getting a circle to look like a circle and not a polygon... or to get a print ready image instead of a 72dpi mess.  

Meanwhile right on the oip for the viewport there is a pulldown called "detail level" which as far as I can tell... doesn't do anything. Certainly it doesn't do enough to justify it's prominent and intuitive place in the top level of the OIP

I'm not a new user to this program, but I've only started trying to push it's limits in the last couple of years... and I have to say the constant bugs and unintuitive settings buried across the platform is wearing thin. I've had too many anxiety attacks in the last few years when under deadline and V-Works decides that a nice hig- quality sheet layer is something I'll have to work overtime for. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, S. Schmidt said:

Really frustrating that the setting defaults to Low... every single time you make a viewport.  

Between needing to fight the multiple resolution settings (viewport, camera, publish), and then the rendering detail which is buried in unintuitive locations... and then now learning that section viewports get their very own different render setting... and of course the service pack bug....

This is a bit much. There are too many settings buried and hidden away that affect something simple like getting a circle to look like a circle and not a polygon... or to get a print ready image instead of a 72dpi mess.  

If you use template files then you never need to look at or adjust these settings as you set them up the way you want them in your template.

4 hours ago, S. Schmidt said:

Meanwhile right on the oip for the viewport there is a pulldown called "detail level" which as far as I can tell... doesn't do anything. Certainly it doesn't do enough to justify it's prominent and intuitive place in the top level of the OIP

This relates to the Detail Level for symbols + PIOs: the amount of geometry for these objects that you want displayed depending on the level of detail you want for the drawing.

i.e:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/Symbols/Customizing_detail_levels_for_2D_and_3D_components_of_symbol.htm?rhsearch=detail levels&rhhlterm=detail details detailed levels level