Using images as 2D fill

StatonCohen

Question

I am trying to create a 2D plan with texture.  I'm not sure I am going about this the right way.  I am trying to use images as a fill to create elements such as meadow grass and concrete reinforced grass.  I have found images which say that they are seamless and they are free to download.  I have imported them and used them as the hatch but I can see squares around the edges of the images where they repeat.  Is there anyway I can get rid of this?  I thought that if I blurred the edges of the image this might work, but they don't overlap so this just makes it worse.

Many thanks.

Captura de pantalla 2023-07-04 a las 16.29.35.png

2 answers to this question

Non tiling Image Textures are a problem.

You can photoshop their borders to fit 100% to the touching border of the next tiles.

But as soon as you have any interesting or obvious detail, anywhere in your

Texture Image, you will recognize tiling nevertheless.

In your case there seems to be a problem with the bright texture borders or maybe

how VW renders these. If this is solvable, you may still recognize tiling by from

the boulders.

Blurrying borders will not help. You would notice new tiling by the difference between

sharp and detailed Texture vs. blurred border areas.

So smaller tiled Textures over large areas will only work if they have not much variation.

Which means they need to look boring.

If you need a Texture over a large area - at best you use a photo of such a large area ....

or at least of a larger part of that area.

The problem will be the texture resolution when you need to render a detail of the area.

In a full featured 3D Render App (C4D, Modo, Blender, ....) you will have lots of settings

to dim the tiling effect a bit. But basically you would take reasonably tile-able textures

similar to your scale, but adding further variation, like by mixing in a large Noise Texture

at a much larger scale or paint some variations over.

BTW,

is you example just a screenshot from drawing window or a rendered SLVP ?