Imported Pdf slows down VW

Biscontin

Question

I am having a big issue with imported Pdfs. I am dragging-dropping 1 page pdf (400k, very light, few lines, no texts).

Every time a do zoom or I try to pan the page and even doing a simple line... it freezes (spinning wheel) for 5-6 sec.

Impossible to work on it.

I tried to turn off Snap To Geometry, nothing changed.

I am running VW on a Mac Studio with 64Gb ram memory... 

The odd thing is that at the beginning (when VW was installed for the first time on the fresh Mac Studio), this did not happened, everything was fast and smooth.

Perhaps is there a VW cache memory or something that is clogging VW?

Thanks.  

4 answers to this question

The slowness of PDFs in Vectorworks is a long-time bug which has yet to be fixed. I remember reporting it at least a year ago. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I've not heard about any attempts to fix it. I have the same experience as you, waiting for the spinning wheel to stop for something as simple as a move. It doesn't seem to matter whether the PDF is embedded in the file or referenced, it is still agonizingly slow to work with.

One more point about the problems with using PDFs with VW: You CANNOT no matter what you do, NOT select a pdf. I sometimes have to draw on top of PDFs to create 3D models for the pitiable folk who still draft in 2D. Even if I send the PDF to the bottom, when I draw on top of it it will be selected and I have to zoom out, deselect it (XX does not work). Lock it you say? That does not work. It is STILL selected. Zoom in and make sure I am clicking on my lines. Nope. Does not work. In short, the PDF is unusable as an underlay unless I put it on another layer and then hope that snapping still works. PDFs are a nightmare to use and it DOES,. NOT. HAVE. TO. BE. THAT. WAY. I fully expect that VW2024 will have this at the top of the bug list to fix before adding any new features (unless, of course, it is better lighting).