Windoor ID or data tag for windows and doors?

Up until now I have just been adding an annotation regarding window and door numbers and sizes to my plans, but with trying to learn more and use more features of vectorworks I figure this is something I should learn to use as I think I must be able to link this somehow to the new Graphic legend for my door and window schedule.

Do people have opinions of which is the better tool to use to do this?   Being located in New Zealand I have and use Windoor for all my windows and doors.

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon, I think you've got two questions here. Number one about using the built-in data tag in windoor, or whether to use the data tag tool. My preference these days is to use the data tank tool to tag all of my windows in plan and in elevations and sections. I have a different tag for plan views than for elevations and sections. The reason I like the data tag tool is that allows me to create exactly the graphic style that I want, and also choose the amount of information that I want.

The second question is about using the graphic legends. The data on the windows and doors can be shown on your graphic legend along with other information that you might want to attach to your doors and windows, such as lintel sizes, lintel fixings, etc. With windoor, you can choose which schedule you want to place the doors and windows on. You can have a door schedule, or a window schedule, or combination schedule. You can set up your graphic legend so that I can look for doors that are on the door schedule, windows that are on the window schedule, or objects that are on the combination schedule.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 6/12/2023 at 2:02 AM, Jonathan Pickup said:

Hi Sharon, I think you've got two questions here. Number one about using the built-in data tag in windoor, or whether to use the data tag tool. My preference these days is to use the data tank tool to tag all of my windows in plan and in elevations and sections. I have a different tag for plan views than for elevations and sections. The reason I like the data tag tool is that allows me to create exactly the graphic style that I want, and also choose the amount of information that I want.

The second question is about using the graphic legends. The data on the windows and doors can be shown on your graphic legend along with other information that you might want to attach to your doors and windows, such as lintel sizes, lintel fixings, etc. With windoor, you can choose which schedule you want to place the doors and windows on. You can have a door schedule, or a window schedule, or combination schedule. You can set up your graphic legend so that I can look for doors that are on the door schedule, windows that are on the window schedule, or objects that are on the combination schedule.

Hi @Jonathan Pickup, when I try to use a data tag to label a WinDoor generated door, the data tag isn't able to select the object. Is there a trick to using a VW Data Tag for labeling WinDoor objects?

8 hours ago, MaltbyDesign said:

Hi @Jonathan Pickup, when I try to use a data tag to label a WinDoor generated door, the data tag isn't able to select the object. Is there a trick to using a VW Data Tag for labeling WinDoor objects?

Yes, which Data Tag exactly are you using? There are various pre-made Data Tags that come with WinDoor: is it one of these? If so, are you using it in one of the Eligible Object modes rather than Label Mode?

9 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Yes, which Data Tag exactly are you using? There are various pre-made Data Tags that come with WinDoor: is it one of these? If so, are you using it in one of the Eligible Object modes rather than Label Mode?

Hi Tom, I'm using the "Door Long Rd" data tag from the Dims/Notes Toolset. I mostly use the VW's Door Tool and Window Tool in the Building Shell Toolset. I only used WinDoor for a couple of storefront doors that I needed to include sidelights and transoms.

Like @Pat Stanford says, Data Tags use formulae which are specfic to particular objects so a Door or Window tag will not work on a WinDoor object. So either edit one of those tags to make it so it's looking for WinDoor-specific parameters. Or use one of the existing WinDoor tags in the libraries. Look under user folders (from memory)

• Like 1