Apple Keynote WWDC2023: 'What if...'

jbtroost

...Nomad would come to Apple Vision Pro? Just saw the WWDC keynote, where wearing a Vision Pro while looking at a Mac's screen had the desktop (or any app screen) move to the spatial computing environment. Well, that would bring up a bunch of wish list items!

Edited by jbtroost
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, jbtroost said:

...Nomad would come to Apple Vision Pro? Just saw the WWDC keynote, where wearing a Vision Pro looking to a Mac's screen had the desktop (or any app screen) move to the spatial computing environment. Well, that would bring up a bunch of wish list items!

I believe this API is already built into the latest Nomad app (along with Rhino and a few others), so that seems imminent:

https://developer.apple.com/augmented-reality/roomplan/

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dave Donley said:

Nomad's 3D viewer uses Unity

4 hours ago, Dave Donley said:

Vectorworks is ARM- and Metal-native

While the rest of the realtime rendering world moves toward Unreal Engine (vs Unity) and hardware raytracing on NVIDIA graphics cards, VW Shaded mode continues to improve. As a Mac-first user, my hope has become--kind of a 180 actually--that native VW rendering will spare us from Apple's beef with NIVIDA and Epic. You guys are killing it--thank you!

🙏

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
15 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

While the rest of the realtime rendering world moves toward Unreal Engine (vs Unity) and hardware raytracing on NVIDIA graphics cards, VW Shaded mode continues to improve. As a Mac-first user, my hope has become--kind of a 180 actually--that native VW rendering will spare us from Apple's beef with NIVIDA and Epic. You guys are killing it--thank you!

🙏

Thanks Mark, we are covering those as well - Twinmotion and Unreal Datasmith and other interesting connections to Unreal's ecosystem, and NVIDIA and Omniverse and USD which is a common format for NVIDIA and Apple (in the Vision Pro demo the "architect/designer" guy drags and drops a USDZ file from messages onto a virtual turntable).  Maxon is a great partner for us as they cover PC and Mac equally.

When people say the price is high I think of another Gibson Quote.

“The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.

The Economist, December 4, 2003” 

I can't help but comparing this to the first laptops that really made sense the late 90's Powerbooks where the keyboard moved to the back and it all made sense. Sure it took 10 years for that cost/benefit to even out and be common but the potential was there. 

I guess the question is will an existing CAD vendor jump in and disrupt the market position or will a whole new player emerge from the kitchen table?

• Like 3