Solid Subtraction on Mulitiple Solids

shorter

Question

I have a loads of columns formed from individual extrusions, and a wall whose top is inclined.

I want to trim all the columns to the top of the wall.

It would be great if the solid subtraction command allowed us the option to subtract from multiple objects, not just one at a time.

6 answers to this question

Split tool only works in one plane, which is fine, and only along a single line, i.e. it has no polygon mode.

Section Solids does something very strange...  It does not cut all solids in the same way and they all have to be modelled such that there is no geometry below the trimming geometry otherwise like the subtract solid command, you get what looks like two solids but they are joined.

Some fiddling and indeed the Section Solids command will do what you want but requires specific relationship and does not trim the solid to each other with is another option we need.

So, request stands...   The 'Subtract Solids' (plural) command should do as it says and subtract multiple solids!

Not quite sure what you are asking.  The Split tool as Tom suggested works well, but has no history.  

Something not widely known is that solids don't have to touch to be "Added together".  I often add multiple solids together that are not touching like your columns.  Then I do a subtraction of them all.

• Like 1

The columns need to remain as individual columns.

I suppose it was semantics. The command says ‘subtract solids’ but doesn’t. It only subtracts one solid from another.

the split tool only works in one direction and would not help if the wall, for example, undulated.

Section Solids works once the geometry is aligned correctly but was overlooked.