Windows 10 lost my VW2023 file

MGuilfoile

Question

Yeah, that's right. This isn't really a question, but more of a warning. As a Mac user for over 35 years, I never lost a file. Never. From OS6 through Monterey I never had a file vanish. I've been using Windows for a little over nine months and I've lost my second file. This OS is not robust enough for the workflow I developed using Apple's computers. If I have Photoshop, Illustrator, web browsers and more open on my MacBook Pro (with the exact same specs as my Windows box) it hums right along. I never turn it off. I'll open Blender and TwinMotion as the same time, no problem. With Windows, if I don't shut it off every night I am asking for trouble (I probably haven't shut down my MBP in a year or more). So, it is my fault that I pushed Windows a bit too hard, it crashed (which it often does anyway) and it completely lost my file. Although I have a backup set to save every 15 minutes, there was no backup.

So, if you have a choice in running VW and all the other apps we use in 3D work in Windows or Mac, choose the Mac OS. Windows is fine for pecking at the keyboard in Word or Excel, but don't trust it for serious work. It is not a professional grade OS. Thanks for letting me rant.

MHBrown

2 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, MGuilfoile said:

Although I have a backup set to save every 15 minutes, there was no backup.

For this reason, regardless of which OS you use, it has been recommended by others on the forum to have auto-save backups specified by ‘number of operations’ — not by ‘number of minutes’.

Tangentially related, Windows 10 is no longer receiving version updates; The current version of Windows 10 will be the last one. Microsoft is recommending everyone upgrade to Windows 11.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/windows-client-roadmap-update/ba-p/3805227

Edited by rDesign