Editing extrusion profiles in place

kitkaye

Question

Hi All,

I'm trying to do a simple edit of an extrusion profile that was used to model a kitchen counter.

The issue I'm encountering is that after i have moved the counter, the profile does not follow! this is making it extreamly hard to make changes as the profile is rotated and mirrored and not in the same location as the extrusion. is there a way to stop this and make it follow the extrusion?

also.. when I'm editing the profile, it removes all other objects from the view. This means i cant make adjustments on the fly to fit a space as the space is no longer visable...

these all seam like bazar things to design into the software and i hope the is an easy way to fix this.

If you have any ideas, please let me know

Thanks

4 answers to this question

3 hours ago, kitkaye said:

also.. when I'm editing the profile, it removes all other objects from the view. This means i cant make adjustments on the fly to fit a space as the space is no longer visable...

kitkaye

When editing container objects, I like it when all the other objects disappear  - at times, thought, one needs to see whats going on around - Check the VectorWorks Preferences and check the box - see attached

Peter

Show other objects.pdf

kitkaye

More fun stuff - Script from Pat (?) - inside the attached VW 2020 file -

Also ... short animation shows that a fundamental shape, inside an extrude (container) rotates when you attempt to edit it. (While the adjacent extrude does not. Run the script, with the offending extrusion selected - Indicate Zero/Zero with a click & the direction.

Now the fundamental shape, inside an extrude, remains in location as expected.

One Andy B trick: Make it a symbol at Zero-Zero (to begin with) then edit from the Resource Manager, never from the drawing.

Let us know it works 

Peter

Container Script 2020_1.vwx

@kitkaye the 'Show other objects while in editing modes' setting that @Elite Exhibits has directed you towards is very useful to have as a Quick Pref on your view bar so you can easily toggle it on + off without digging into the preferences:

650753753_Screenshot2023-05-10at05_32_40.png.c4572a7cd63fa808df07506e663aafd0.png

The accompanying setting 'Grey other objects' is also very useful. This can't be set as a Quick Pref but it can be scripted + turned into a plug-in menu command + assigned to a keyboard shortcut which is how I've got it set up. Otherwise it's five clicks to turn it on or off...

• Like 1