cabinets not rendering

tom eanes

Question

I have a file in which the cabinets (just the stock VW cabinets) will only render in wireframe, no matter the rendering selection, with the exception that they will render correctly (more or less, I can't really tell) in dashed hidden line.  All else renders correctly.

Same cabinets will render correctly in other files including when copied and pasted from the troublesome file.

So I figure I must have accidentally changed a setting but I can't figure out which.

5 answers to this question

Couple things to check.

1. Select the base cabinet and look at the Attributes Palette.  Make sure the fill is set to Soild.  If the fill is by class check the class attributes.
  2. In the base cabinet OIP near the bottom there are drop downs to select classes for the Cabinet, Doors, and Kick elements.  If you are using those, make sure those classes have a solid fill.
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, michaelk said:

Couple things to check.

1. Select the base cabinet and look at the Attributes Palette.  Make sure the fill is set to Soild.  If the fill is by class check the class attributes.
  2. In the base cabinet OIP near the bottom there are drop downs to select classes for the Cabinet, Doors, and Kick elements.  If you are using those, make sure those classes have a solid fill.

that's what I was going to say

• Laugh 1

Thanks for the help,  I  had checked attributes and class set to solid and they are, but those drop-downs in the OIP for the base cabinets are greyed out whether Show Detail is checked or not, and those are all set to class None.

That's the one thing I changed, I always change class none to No Fill.  I'm just learning the 3D of VW after 30 years using it mainly as a 2D drafting tool; in that mode having None set to solid is a major annoyance so that is the one thing I always reset if I'm using a VW template.

So I changed None back to Solid and things render as they should!

Still need to understand why almost all the parameters in the OIP for the base cabinet are greyed.  I'll leave that for tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, tom eanes said:

Still need to understand why almost all the parameters in the OIP for the base cabinet are greyed.  I'll leave that for tomorrow.

Is it a Styled cabinet + those parameters are set to be By Style? See 'Plug-in Style/Instance Settings' dialog.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, tom eanes said:

Thanks for the help,  I  had checked attributes and class set to solid and they are, but those drop-downs in the OIP for the base cabinets are greyed out whether Show Detail is checked or not, and those are all set to class None.

That's the one thing I changed, I always change class none to No Fill.  I'm just learning the 3D of VW after 30 years using it mainly as a 2D drafting tool; in that mode having None set to solid is a major annoyance so that is the one thing I always reset if I'm using a VW template.

So I changed None back to Solid and things render as they should!

A little helpful tip, do not set the None class to No Fill. It is better to use a different class with no fill to avoid issues like this as you advance more in 3D. I hope this helps.