VW 2023 Randomly Quits / Crashes without warning

cberg

Question

We are almost on the fourth build of VW2023.  Usually by this time, most of the new release bugs are worked out.  That said, I am still experiencing fairly regular 2023 crashes. (2-3x week.)  The program quits (without saving) unexpectedly in the middle of an operation.  Has anybody else been experiencing this? 

I will try to be more mindful regarding what is associated with these crashes.  A few observations:

I have my autosave set to save after 40 operations and I have opted to confirm beforehand. When I get a save reminder, I almost always manually save (instead of autosaving).  In the past automatic autosaving created problems for me, and increased the likelihood of crashing. 

After I save, the autosave counter reminder does not reset, so I get messages like, "you haven't saved in 840 operations", or something like that...  Until I don't get reminders for a long while.  That is usually when the crash happens.  I am in a design flow state.  Thinking about something else, not worrying about whether the technology will fail on me. 

What I am doing when these crashes happens seems to vary.   Sometimes switching from one file to another causes the crash.  (I usually work with three to five open files at a time).  Frequently the eyedropper causes the crash. Push pull.  Sometimes copying and pasting.  Sometimes applying textures.  Importing symbols.  Many times, I am using key commands. 

Any thoughts as to how to to set up my preferences to reduce this from happening?

Edited by cberg

10 answers to this question

We are experiencing these sudden crashes a lot, too. Worksheets seem to be the usual culprit, but also while drawing something (no pattern detected there).

It happens in a blink of an eye, the program simply gone from screen. Across all different pc's and in both Windows 10 and 11. Across brand new machines and very old ones.

On 4/6/2024 at 12:10 PM, JMR said:

We are experiencing these sudden crashes a lot, too. Worksheets seem to be the usual culprit, but also while drawing something (no pattern detected there).

It happens in a blink of an eye, the program simply gone from screen. Across all different pc's and in both Windows 10 and 11. Across brand new machines and very old ones.

Hello may i know if you are getting this issue with vectorworks 2023?

Was the project created on 2023 or an old version?

On 4/9/2024 at 6:59 PM, vassen said:

Hello may i know if you are getting this issue with vectorworks 2023?

Was the project created on 2023 or an old version?

Yes, with 2023. The projects are native 2023.

On 4/11/2024 at 4:18 PM, JMR said:

Yes, with 2023. The projects are native 2023.

Thanks, only the files created at source with vectorworks 2020 that we move to 2023 we had the uses.

Till now no one was able to answer me on this matter. I had redo the design in 2023 version.

We are experiencing a strange "black curtain" also that slides down the screens and precedes a crash. This is a separate issue from the sudden speedy exit, I think. Again, across completely differenct setups and Win 10/11. VW version 2023, SP8s.

5 hours ago, JMR said:

We are experiencing a strange "black curtain" also that slides down the screens and precedes a crash. This is a separate issue from the sudden speedy exit, I think. Again, across completely differenct setups and Win 10/11. VW version 2023, SP8s.

@JMR Black curtain? any screenshot? or if we could see the file?

Like this, screenshots from a phone video. The black "curtain" travels down the screen a few times before crash.

Both different Intel and AMD machines and Win 10/11 OS's.

This is a bit rarer than the sudden exit crash, though.

image.thumb.png.314194fd94e08acc13b02b054da3e47e.pngimage.thumb.png.e955ebc68ddc60c0fe761d074c9a0481.png

image.thumb.png.3b37ea3c35d7b0b8407c00191a0cd37e.png