Vectorworks to Twinmotion - Watch out when using your hardscape styles defined in a previous version

I have a project that was setup for easy coordination with civil engineering files using the shifted User Origin vs Internal Origin method.

I thought all was well until I went to Twinmotion, which threw my project skyward.  I figured this was based off of some project elevation information that was somehow related to aforementioned origins.  I also noted that some of my hardscapes were using this far off origin in their definition too.

I discovered this by zooming to extents and watching my project become a little dot on the screen, modify-select all, and then selecting my project geometry again to remove it from the selection set.  It was then I found 20 some hardscapes that had the error in them.  Strangely, they were all created in the same session as my other hardscapes... the differentiator... one style I used has "use site modifier" selected and the rest don't.  I made those hardscapes back in V2020 so something happened during the transition to cause the issue.  So much time wasted figuring this out.  I'll have to go back and check my V2020 hardscapes in 2020 to see why this occurred.  I suspect it has to do with "improvements" to the hardscape tool.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

I have a project that was setup for easy coordination with civil engineering files using the shifted User Origin vs Internal Origin method.

I thought all was well until I went to Twinmotion, which threw my project skyward.  I figured this was based off of some project elevation information that was somehow related to aforementioned origins.  I also noted that some of my hardscapes were using this far off origin in their definition too.

I discovered this by zooming to extents and watching my project become a little dot on the screen, modify-select all, and then selecting my project geometry again to remove it from the selection set.  It was then I found 20 some hardscapes that had the error in them.  Strangely, they were all created in the same session as my other hardscapes... the differentiator... one style I used has "use site modifier" selected and the rest don't.  I made those hardscapes back in V2020 so something happened during the transition to cause the issue.  So much time wasted figuring this out.  I'll have to go back and check my V2020 hardscapes in 2020 to see why this occurred.  I suspect it has to do with "improvements" to the hardscape tool.

Thoughts?

@jeff prince I feelya on the time wasted - ouch.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Jeff, have you noticed with 2023 created hardscapes set to drape cut site model, the surface renders black when using the twinmotion visual effects clay render?  Literally everything is white except pure black hardscapes.  Change hardscapes to texture bed and hardscape material renders white in clay render mode.  I am leaning towards new drape feature maybe doesn't play nice with all of twinmotion features or it is a VW setting on the material or hardscape that needs an adjustment and we haven't figured it out.

3 minutes ago, Phillip Tripp said:

Jeff, have you noticed with 2023 created hardscapes set to drape cut site model, the surface renders black when using the twinmotion visual effects clay render?  Literally everything is white except pure black hardscapes.  Change hardscapes to texture bed and hardscape material renders white in clay render mode.  I am leaning towards new drape feature maybe doesn't play nice with all of twinmotion features or it is a VW setting on the material or hardscape that needs an adjustment and we haven't figured it out.

I haven't tired the new site model/hardscape functions in 2023 and brought them into Twinmotion yet.  I'll have to play around with it in July when I have more time.  Lately, I haven't been able to trust Vectoworks with visualization work derived from BIM/site models.  The issues in my signature still haven't been fully resolved or adequately explained, so I have been using other programs as a result.