Looking for a better way to manage colors while drafting

twang

In our office, we are trying to figure out a way to display colors while in design layer which are color-coded according to lineweight, black in white in most drawings, but also with some color while shown in viewport (such as red or blue to indicate alternative layouts or markups for probes or even for decorative purposes).  Does anyone know a good way to achieve this without making every viewport have color overrides?

4 hours ago, twang said:

Does anyone know a good way to achieve this without making every viewport have color overrides?

Why do you want to do so?

You can show lineweight and plotted color on screen.  Using color coding systems for lineweight can be hard for some people to see, especially colorblind folks.

Sounds like the antiquated AutoCAD workflow we used prior to 2000.

• Like 1

I used to use this approach when I still drew mainly in 2D. It was definitely useful to view linework (while working on it) colour-coded because it gives you much more instant feedback on whether something is in the lineweight/class you intended.

In my case I used it primarily to keep a handle on what class things were in - but lineweight was commonly connected to class. Lineweight is not always easy to distinguish on screen, and in any case I'd often prefer to draw without "zoomed" lineweight (ie all thin lines) because that made it easier to spot when things hadn't snapped properly and so on.

All this is now a bit redundant for me as I draw primarily in 3d. But I continue to code classes and materials by colour, colours which are helpful when drawing but don't appear in the (mostly) black & white drawings I eventually produce.

• Like 1