Truss Insertion not working when editing Hanging position

Hello,

When I insert Trusses into drawing, everything is ok, and I can snap them together. Then I create a Hanging Position from selected pieces. All is good. However, when I try to edit position, trusses start to snap into weird places. If I group trusses and try to edit the group, everything works fine.

Screenshots and project file attached. I have 2022 Version, Spotlight and Braceworks.

Things I have tried:

-Different projects, blank projects as well.

-Standard symbols from library, not my own. Same problem everytime.

-Updated Nvidia Drivers

-Fresh install of the Software

Any help would be great!

Editing Hanging Positions.png

Trusses before HP.png

Truss Insert Problem.vwx

• 1 year later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/29/2023 at 1:34 PM, Ed Saunders said:

I'm still experiencing this problem, and am now on VWX2024 -- has there been any update to this?

Hi Ed, 

Is this in a newly built file? Or, is this happening in a file that might have been built in a VW version prior to 2024?
Would you please post a sample file?

Thanks, Scott

Hanging position edit seems to be broken still on 2024.

On attached file t1 Hanging Position is stick of Reliable Truss (random from VW library). As truss those snap as they should. When converting to Hanging Position, single position from all selected, Use Geometry options selected and editing this HP additional truss snaps to same offset from HP origin as line is from drawing origin Y+20mm X+98mm . See left most truss.

T2 Eurotruss FD34 from library same options when converting to HP and editing this additional trusses snap to same offset from HP origin as line is from drawing origin, in this case Y+ 2200mm X+/- 200 as there is truss added on both ends on line.

Also when making HP(T3 and T4) from Eurotuss multiple pieces HP gets Z value -3mm, trusses inside HP gets Z value +3mm. If HP is made with only one truss Z value says as 0mm in HP and in truss inside Hanging Position.

We have been seeing this at least from v2021 maybe earlier but cant recall so much back time.

Hanging position edit.vwx

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I think this has been with us since 2019, so I am not holding my breath. I guess it has been reported by many of us. 

As a workaround, just ungrouping HP (essentially de-assembling HP), doing the fix and create HP again might be something to do. Or, if you create symbol instead of "use geometry" bug might not appear. At least in some version it did not, but I never do this so I don't know for sure.

I personally (originally because of this bug) have pretty much stopped using Hanging positions and instead deal with truss systems directly. I don't know your workflow, but it could be something to try as well. You lose some nice things with it (1 object instead of pieces, some calcs etc), but (for me) I have found it to be faster and little more rigid way to handle trusses. With so many different options and plugins on plugins, I think you always get some headaches.

Happy 2024!

Hey,

I'm just curious, why are you using a hanging position for a truss? On a truss, you can attach fixtures and hoists natively. I find a hanging position to be A LOT more work to handle as a rigger in Vectorworks and have just forbidden it internally. No problems here. We do make hanging positions on stuff that is not a truss or pipe.

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2024 at 12:58 PM, Stefan B. said:

Hey,

I'm just curious, why are you using a hanging position for a truss? On a truss, you can attach fixtures and hoists natively. I find a hanging position to be A LOT more work to handle as a rigger in Vectorworks and have just forbidden it internally. No problems here. We do make hanging positions on stuff that is not a truss or pipe.

Regarding hanging position, you can move the entire assembly, and I believe the weight calculation is always done for the entire truss assembly. Otherwise, weights can be calculated per segment. Am I wrong?

I use it this way because that's how I learned from all the tutorials I watched.

Can you explain better your workflow? I appreciate.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
But well, I'm also facing a problem when I try modify Hanging positions

Right now, I need to change a truss system that I built and I'm not managing to. However, the strange thing is that 20 minutes ago, I did exactly what I need with the below process and it worked.

Explanation:

1. I create a truss system with several segments.

2. I Transform it into a Hanging Position.

At this point, I find myself in a situation where I need to "change the length of a segment" or increase the truss system.

3. As I can't snap other truss segments to include in the Hanging Position already created, and transform it again into a Hanging Position, I need to "convert the Hanging Position" into a normal truss system.

4. I used Ctrl + U (ungroup) to make this modification: Hanging Position -> Individual Truss Segments. The first time it worked, and I added the segments that I needed and exchanged others that needed to be changed.

Now, when I Ungroup, the truss segments turn into "normal" 3D Symbols, and I can't add more truss segments (snap isn't available) or even transform those 3D symbols back into a Hanging Position.

The thing is, before (20 minutes before), I was able to do this in this way.

What am I doing wrong?

On 2/16/2024 at 9:26 PM, Cristiano Alves said:

Can you explain better your workflow? I appreciate.

well, just use them as trusses. As you experience below, working with trusses, like as a rigger or responsible for planning trusses, hanging positions make life really hard. You have to do one truss at a time if you need to make changes to them all or several of them. Changes to trusses are very common, at least in our company. All the benefits that are mentioned are not really benefits in my opinion. You can move a truss system as one too, you just have to click select system objects. Then every object connected to the truss will follow a move. But yes, I would use a group or maybe even a hanging position if there are a lot of trusses, clamps, and pipes that make up one structure but VW cannot really handle it as one connected system. Weight calculations, well, it is great to see the weight in the truss, but how do they really help you? You do not know where the loads are or the sum in each hanging point. So how are you planning on using the data?

In our company, we just draw trusses as truss, and keep them as trusses. This seems to work great for everybody.