Site Modifier / Surfaces / 3D Polygon

Paul N

Hi all, a few questions.

1. When I try to convert a 3D polygon back into a polygons, the linework / object disappears completely and I cannot seem to find it. 

2. When I converted a polygon (the driveway) into a site modifier, I do not see the "fill" texture I assigned to it. All my classes and layers are turned on. Note I sent the "driveway" "site modifier" to the surface of the site model. I believe it worked but cannot see the texture. See screenshot and VW file. 

Screenshot 2022-04-13 150948.png

Screenshot 2022-04-13 151649.png

VW_ChangShapiro Baseplan.vwx

I see a couple things that are messing with driveway visibility.

1.  The driveway modifier is assigned to the Driveway Surface class. The The class Driveway Surface has Texture assigned, but no fill and no pen.

2.  Texture will not display if no fill is assigned.  Suggest edit the class to have a solid fill (eg white).

3.  The driveway might disappear when changes are made to visibility because of no Pen assigned to the class.

4. In DTM settings>General tab>Use Site Modifiers on>Custom Set of Layers ...  The layers are all listed, but none are selected with a checkmark.  Suggest pick relevant layers in this list. Or instead of Custom List, choose All visible, or other as appropriate.

5. Update the DTM after changes even if the Update button is not red.

I made the driveway display.

Post back as needed.

-B

• Like 1

Okay, but before I even send the driveway to surface, I still cannot see the driveway texture. As seen the very first screen shot. 

Also when I right click on the DTM layer  it shows "edits" and not "general tabs" . Unless there's a DTM in the tools setting? I guess what I am trying to ask is where can I find the DTM setting, it in modify? 498870049_Screenshot2022-04-19164613.thumb.png.c3d381010cd28fcdfe46d73c32193612.png

Edited by Paul N
2 hours ago, Paul N said:

Okay, but before I even send the driveway to surface, I still cannot see the driveway texture. As seen the very first screen shot. 

Also when I right click on the DTM layer  it shows "edits" and not "general tabs" . Unless there's a DTM in the tools setting? I guess what I am trying to ask is where can I find the DTM setting, it in modify? 

Best to start with a solid foundation, take a few free training sessions on Vectorworks University....

456024865_ScreenShot2022-04-19at6_59_16PM.thumb.png.f26bc2bac09682f4ec909af19ef74b22.png

• Like 2

@Paul N Do look at those tutorials as suggested by @jeff prince

Some of your new questions require a bit of 'splainin.

1. DTM.

Your confusion is encountered by many - As noted above, DTM is acronym for Digital Terrain Model.  In Vectorworks, this object type has been called by different names over various versions of the software:  DTM, Terrain, Site Model, and possibly others. These terms interchangeably on the forum along with abbreviations. Vestiges of the old names remain in the software, eg in the AEC menu, there is a Terrain option leading to commands for forming and modifying the Site Model. Also, if Site Modifiers are applied to a Terrain (DTM,Site Model,SM), Vectorworks automatically creates a new nested class named Site>DTM>Modifier.

2. Site Model Settings

As noted by @Pat Stanford this is a button in the Object Info Palette (OIP) when a DTM is selected. It accesses a dialog with tabs and options  to control behavior and display of the DTM. The Settings Dialog can also be accessed via dbl click the DTM and choose Settings, or Right Click and choose Edit>Settings. The Site Model Settings>General Tab includes a menu (bottom center) to assign layers on which Site Modifiers will modify the DTM.

3. Why you cannot see the textured Poly prior to Send to Surface.

A. The driveway object in your drawing is a Site Modifier>Texture Bed which normally resides on the DTM surface.  It is a special type of 3d object and will only show texture on the site model surface. In certain view and layer visibility changes which make the DTM invisible/not present (see below), it may revert to the ground plane, but will display only as an outline with no texture.  To see a textured version of this shape on the ground plane either recreate your 2d source object and assign layer/class/fill (sorry, no texture on 2d objects) as appropriate, or . . . Duplicate the driveway shape in Place, Ungroup (makes a 3d poly in the Site>DTM>Modifier class), reassign the class, eg to Driveway Surface, and layer as appropriate for your visibility needs.  Just don't leave it in that special Modifier class!

B. No need to Send to Surface.  Texture Beds automatically move to the assigned (Existing/Proposed) DTM surface when the DTM is present. A DTM is not considered present if it is on an invisible layer AND not on the Active Layer.  Might need to update to the Site Model to make this automatice Send to Surface.  If the Texture Bed is on the Active Layer, and the DTM is not present the object may revert to the ground plane, eg if apply the Make all Attributes By Class in the Attributes Palette or other redraw actions.  But it will not show texture. It will move to the DTM surface again if the DTM becomes present.

Whew!  Good luck with all this!

Post back as needed.

-B

• Like 2