Keeping redlines on all the time, posible?

Ramon PG

So you're redlining on top of a Viewport? Directly on the Sheet layer? Interesting.

I presumed you do your drawing in Design layers and then viewport them to Sheet layers for output. I do redlining either in the Design layer or (more likely) by annotating a Viewport. Thus the visibility control via the Viewport.

The only suggestion I have, if I understand you correctly, would be to check your Class visibilities when you have the Sheet active. If you use a Saved View to access the Sheet, you might need to modify the class visibility settings in the Saved View dialog.

Good luck,

Thanks for the input.

Travis, I do practically all work in Design layers, but I find easier to redline in the final set, or Sheet Layer, just as in real life drawings. I may be wrong, and willing to learn. Part of the problem is that I started using the redline tool to keep tabs of changes to the drawing since there is no typical changes bubble tool. Or is there one someplace ...?

Island, what's WGR? As far as using Sheet Layers to draw... makes sense but you end up doing a ton of your final work in SLs dimensioning, naming, annotating levels, referencing, editing the page border.

Ramon, WGR = Work Group Reference under the Organize Menu. This is the best way to link various projects past & present and allows for the segregation of information. The only problem is that WGR does not allow for secondary linking of previously linked layers and Sheets. Therefore, if you desire to utilize WGR procedures then you will need to avoid placing too much vital data on the Sheet Layers. WGR also has the added benefit of being file "rescue & recovery" friendly.

Ramon,

As Mike points out, there are tools that you probably could use. Even then, I'd be sure to make my revision notes and/or redlines in the Viewport Annotations rather than on top of the viewport.

If revisions turn out to be extensive, you may want to consider using a revisions Design layer that you stack immediately above the affected original layer(s). This would preserve your options to use WGR from a new file, it still separates the original drawing from the revisions, and it can still all be managed for output via Viewports.

It seems the consensus is clear in encouraging you to steer away from edits directly on the sheet layer.

Good luck,