Basements in a site model

Good afternoon folks,

I've been banging my head agains the screen for 2 hours now trying to cut out a basement from a site model. 

I've got a 3D polygon in the outline of the basement footprint set to the proper elevation. If I convert it to a Pad site modifier, the ground slopes into it. I need the edges of the cut to be vertical. I've played around with a Grade Limit 3D poly to the same shape as the basement footprint but it's not really doing anything. 

Does anyone have a method of cutting a basement out of a site model?

This file is in VW 2021.

Thanks folks.

- Dylan

The Site Model does not handle vertical cuts.

Make the pad the size you need and then make the Grade Limit to be 1mm (or even 0.01mm) larger in every direction and you will get a close simulation of what you are trying to do.

Or do it the other way and make the Grade limit the exact size so you have the surface shape correct and then make the pad slightly smaller.

HTH

Or you can use the Pad with Retaining Edge.  It’s pretty handy once you get the hang of it.  Reshape tool allows you to set the top of your basement nicely, especially walkout basements or split level ones on hillsides where you want to maintain a relationship with the existing grade.  Basements on flatland are a cakewalk with this tool.

F9C92CB7-AB12-41BF-AFEC-B5B67D4CB1B6.thumb.png.4b0ebec28e2c9d988a97a1819613745c.png

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks again folks,

I did play some more with the Pad with Retaining Edge and it also works great. It took a while to figure out how to use it.... Now that I understand how the tool works, it seems the better tool for the job I needed rather than using the Grade Limit modifier.

- Dylan