Revit Collaboration

When you say 'geo-referencing' you aren't using the document setting, are you?

You need to do some coordination testing and this all depends on what they have sent you as a base.  Have they issued an IFC in OPS coordinates or not, and is it rotated or not.

Based on the screenshot (and I assume that coordinate is rounded not precise) you need to leave geo-referencing well alone, and simply set the 'user origin' to the coordinate given.

Test 1

Try opening a new file, and test an import of their IFC and reference the resulting VW file to your model.  Also, check their IFC has been issued correctly by opening it in BIM Collab or SOlibri first, and checking the 'location' of the project.  If the location X and Y values are not as per the screenshot, then they have not exported it correctly.

1 Set the user origin as follows (assuming I have read the coordinate correctly)

https://www.dropbox.com/t/kZPVVbNt47Vv5v8o

2 Then import the IFC with these settings:

Screenshot2024-03-11at13_37_07.png.92ca7dd9abd6babe18ada4fb4b1d9f34.png

3 Check the IFC, delete any unwanted data, rename classes and layers with the author code otherwise they may conflict and then reference it to your model, which if it is set up correctly should align the IFC to the internal origin in your model (use layer referencing and 'ignore source user origin'.

If the IFC has been issued from 'shared coordinates' all should be well.

The rotation angle is a red herring.  You will need to use rotate view to align your model to theirs if they send it from shared coordinates.

If they have sent you an IFC from 'internal cooordinates' then the process is a bit easier.

Test 2

Import the IFC into a fresh file, without setting the user origin.  The origin in the IFC and orientation of the model should be as per the screenshot.

If you or the architect need any assistance, get in touch offlist.  The coordinate and rotation angle in the screenshot suggest they may need assistance.

I should also add that we have identified a bug in Revit where the location of the internal origin will move if the rotation angle is set AFTER the location of the project base point.  Creates havoc when trying to coordinate IFCs.

Hi Sorry, I think I confused things.  I haven't been given an IFC file, only a native Revit file.  I am pretty certain the Revit file was not georeferenced but I had also been given a 2D dwg that was aligned north.  So I imported the Revit file, picked up everything and aligned it with some of the 2D geometry so it was aligned north and then adjusted the user origin so that the internal origin matched the Revit internal/survey origins (both in the same place).  After that I enabled the georeferencing and entered the co-ords for the OS datum and that was spot on for the imagery, so I'm pretty sure right.  BIM meeting on Monday so no doubt I'll find out if my Revit and IFC exports matched up.

On 3/15/2024 at 6:19 PM, Laura Stone said:

Hi Sorry, I think I confused things.  I haven't been given an IFC file, only a native Revit file.  I am pretty certain the Revit file was not georeferenced but I had also been given a 2D dwg that was aligned north.  So I imported the Revit file, picked up everything and aligned it with some of the 2D geometry so it was aligned north and then adjusted the user origin so that the internal origin matched the Revit internal/survey origins (both in the same place).  After that I enabled the georeferencing and entered the co-ords for the OS datum and that was spot on for the imagery, so I'm pretty sure right.  BIM meeting on Monday so no doubt I'll find out if my Revit and IFC exports matched up.

A native revit file will not be georeferenced when opened in VW.  The georeferencing settings in revit are an applied coordinate system not a native one.  Always ask for IFC.

• Confused 1