Simplifying Polys?

trashcan

Question

I have tons of shapes that I'm pulling from a DWG. To clean them up I am composing the shapes. Way faster than redrawing. But, coming from the DWG there are a ton of unnecessary vertices. When I go to simplify polys, even with an inch of deviation, nothing changes. Normally I wouldn't sweat this but when I start extruding these shapes, performance starts to really lag. Any ideas? 

image.png.c8fe2d5b3f6833720af4eed986effcbb.png

8 answers to this question

This is an old problem when developing objects that have been imported from DWG's. Sometimes the Simplify Polys command will have some effect, but on the examples such as the one above, I find it easier and less hassle in the long run to redraw using Lines and Arcs. These give much neater results and is the best practice that I know of.

Not ideał, I know. Sometimes the Inner or Outer boundary modes of the Polyline tool can reduce the vertex count, but in my experience this is not often then case.

It would be really great to hear what others think.

• Like 3

That's a good call, in general, but this tile isn't consistent and the alignment needs to be exact. I finished drawing it pretty fast. Just gotta go slow and steady I guess. Curious about what other folks thoughts are re: automated simplifying. 

From the DWG - 34 vertices

redraw method using filet - 12 vertices

redraw method using arcs etc - 8 vertices

All the exact same dimensions. 

• Like 1