Copy and Paste Viewport Position

trashcan

Question

I have viewports on two different sheets. I want to copy and paste the position of those viewports from one sheet to another. Could have sworn this could be done with the eyedropper tool! Normally, I would just copy and paste in place, but the viewports have a lot of notes that I don't want to lose. Any ideas? 

Obviously I can set the anchor point and copy and paste X and Y values separately, but there must be a faster way! 

Edited by trashcan

6 answers to this question

Not clear on why this is not working with the Copy>Paste in Place.  In what sense do the notes get lost? Are the notes in the VP annotations? Or separate objects "outside" the VPs?

I think this is what you are doing:

Place a duplicate of SLVP(s) on another Sheet Layer, at same position. ??

One method:

Select SLVP(s),Notes, etc on source sheet layer

Duplicate in Place

In OIP, change layer designation to target sheet layer.

Navigate to target layer to verify.

Same process can work for transferring any objects from the source sheet to the target sheet.

But Copy>Paste in Place should produce same result.

If the VPs are already transferred, but in wrong position, delete and start again.

Or create guide objects (Rectangles? Loci?) on source and move it to target.

Drag, or Move by Points the misplaced objects in the target to correspond with the guides.

Delete the guides.

Please forgive if I'm just totally not understanding the problem you are trying to solve!

-B

• Like 2

Or if the target layer is really messed up, duplicate the source sheet layer.  When satisfied with any changes or updates to this new sheet, delete or hide the "bad" sheet. Renumber/rename as needed (eg the bad one can be saved with an appended number and name)

This is great process when a new layer is needed with similar VPs, notes, etc.

But may not be so great for fixing problems by creating an alternate for an existing sheet. Because of Auto Coordination, the alternate can bring admin problems managing names/numbers of the new VPs.

-B

• Like 1

@Benson Shaw sorry, to clarify, let me know if this makes sense. 

Normally the process would be, create Sheet 01. Duplicate to Sheet 02. Add in new annotations/visibilities/overrides. BUT! What about when you started that way but now need to change the layout, but want to be consistent between sheets. 

The situation is:

Sheet 01 - there are many viewports. The class visibilities, overrides, and annotations are specific to Sheet 01. I've re-done the layout here and I want those new VP positions to be the same on Sheet 02. 

Sheet 02 - same deal and same amount of viewports that are specific to Sheet 02. 

I can't copy and paste in place from Sheet 01 to Sheet 02, because then I would need to manually add back in / modify all of my annotations, visibilities and overrides. Though that's a functional work around. 

What worked for me was simply copying and pasting the X,Y position from the bottom left anchor point of the viewport, one viewport and one dimension at a time. This was faster than redoing all of my visibilities, overrides, annotations. But still time consuming when having to do it across multiple sheets. 

Deleting and starting again isn't an option 😞 - if only the eyedropper did position! 

Ahhh! So, assuming there is no eyedropper or other one step method, would it save any time or worry to do it all graphically?

___create guide objects at each moved VP on the source sheet

Eg a (small?) rectangle coincident at one corner, or copy the crop shapes. 

—-send the guides to target sheet layer

—-drag or MbP the target VPs to the corresponding locations. 
—-delete the guides. They can be classed for easy selection and deletion.

This could get tricksy if annotations or views change the VP crop or extents.

A really old school approach:

grid the sheet layers with columns and rows of boxes. The VPs have to fit in the boxes. Related VPs on separate sheets have to occupy corresponding boxes.  A project sheet list might have several different grids. The grids can be classed for show/hide. 

or??? A script to collect the source xy and apply to target? 

some wise person is lurking out there,  waiting to pounce with the obvious solution. 

-B

• Like 3