Bottom z, and delta z hieghts for walls.

I'm a new user, please bear with me on this simple question:

How can I create a wall (i.e. foundation footings) that will a:) be placed at the correct -z depth, with the correct delta z hieght? b:) I can create a wall, no sweat, but the only way I can set it in place relative to the bottom z is by selecting each wall segment and modify "z" through the object info pallette. Isn't there an easier way to do this?

I am trying to figure out how to create a new wall type that will include the bottom z and the wall hieght from the outset of drawing the wall.

You need to set your z values for each layer (either manually or using the setup assistant). Then when you go into the wall types dialog make sure that the "use layer delta z" option is checked (on). Also keep in mind that you can use negative values for the "starting z" of any layer if you want. For example I might put my main level layer at starting z=0/delta z = 8' and my slab (or floor framing below) layer at starting z= -4/delta z = 4.

Hope that helps.

Peter

tony,

the trick is to set the z and delta z heights of the wall before you start to draw. so set them up as you start the project.

once you have set up the layers, you can then use the wall type tool to control the delta Z height of the walls separate from the layer delta Z, for walls like partitions...

For more information refer to my Architect Turorial...

Hi jm98499, Here's how I usually do it (of course the actual numbers can be adjusted for each individual project). Each item in the following list is a LAYER:

? Main level floor: bottom z = 0 / delta z = 8'

? Floor Framing: bottom z = -10" / delta z = 10"

[note: sometimes I use two layers here, one for the joists & the second for the sheathing/subfloor]

? Stem Wall: bottom z = -28" / delta z = 18"

? Footings: bottom z = -34" / delta z = 6"

I do it this way because I like my main level finished floor to equal zero. It takes a little math to do the initial setup, but is much easier conceptually after that. Hope that helps! Peter