Townhouse design

Siddharth

Hello folks,

I need your advice on how you conduct townhouse design workflow.

I'm designing 18 townhouses with different elevations (something similar in the attached image).

Till now i have created different townhouses in separate files. And all townhouses besides eachother has different elevations. 

What would be best workflow for putting all townhouses together on site model?

I tried grouping one townhouse but when i explod it forgets the layers and messed up. (Probably not the good workflow).

What should i do to represents everything on site model?

Refer different files to site model file or copy paste all the floors and manually readjust floor, slab, and roofs in site model file?

If you can't understand please comment i can provide better explanation in comment.

Thanks😊

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, jeff prince said:

I like to keep each building as a separate Vectorworks file and then reference them into my site model.

Keeps things simple and makes editing the buildings very easy.

Do you build your models with Layer elevations set relative to the site model, or are they referenced to new 0'-0" for the ground floor?

@Andrew Pollock I set my buildings with their ground finish floor = 0.

When I import them into the site model, I am then free to position them on the site as required.  This is good because if you swap floor plans around the site or if some buildings are duplicated across a site, your building geometry is not tied to the site and no elevation updates are required in the individual building files.

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

@Andrew Pollock I set my buildings with their ground finish floor = 0.

When I import them into the site model, I am then free to position them on the site as required.  This is good because if you swap floor plans around the site or if some buildings are duplicated across a site, your building geometry is not tied to the site and no elevation updates are required in the individual building files.

I guess you keep all the site work (pad modifiers, roads, paths, driveways, etc) in the Site File? I have this same issue but 1/2 acre lots.

@Andrew Pollock When I bring a building in as a reference, I group the building and the building specific site modifiers together, typically foundations and patios.  As I move the building around the site, the modifiers come along for the ride and can automatically update the site accordingly.  I have not had luck with modifiers in the building file affecting the site, hence this work around.

I handle modifiers for roads, driveways, and other site specific features directly in the site model since that is what they are most directly related to and typically the place where the relevant feature are located.

• Like 3