Interiorcad beginner questions

21 hours ago, Blinkglitter said:

Every year having to update and loosing all my custom fittings I have found the quickest way has been to move my previous user folders over and batch convert in place.

If Interior XS / Interiorcad is already installed, the Vectorworks Migration Manager is supposed to automatically migrate all customised content including those of Interior XS / Interiorcad. Historically certain conditions in the User Folder as well as some bad-practices have caused it to fail, but some changes were made recently that seem to have improved the reliability of this process. It should be relied upon from now on, unless or until issues are encountered. If you do encounter issues, report them to your distributor/supplier along with a copy of the User Folder data was being migrated from

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

If Interior XS / Interiorcad is already installed, the Vectorworks Migration Manager is supposed to automatically migrate all customised content including those of Interior XS / Interiorcad. Historically certain conditions in the User Folder as well as some bad-practices have caused it to fail, but some changes were made recently that seem to have improved the reliability of this process. It should be relied upon from now on, unless or until issues are encountered. If you do encounter issues, report them to your distributor/supplier along with a copy of the User Folder data was being migrated from

Thanks for your reply.

Yes last time it failed and I got a lot of problems so I was very wary to do it via migration manager this year.

If there's anywhere online that demonstrates what user folder bad practices are I would be interested to see.

Thanks for your time.

@Blinkglitter @Stephan Moenninghoff or anyone else who can advise: if I have a series of cabinets abutting each other in a line + they are all different + I want to edit the overall width of the assembly, is the only course of action to edit their widths one at a time + reallign them with each other or is there a way to do it en masse? I only have the demo version so am limited to one cabinet per file at the moment. I have watched multiple videos but don't think I've seen this covered. Thanks

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

@Blinkglitter @Stephan Moenninghoff or anyone else who can advise: if I have a series of cabinets abutting each other in a line + they are all different + I want to edit the overall width of the assembly, is the only course of action to edit their widths one at a time + reallign them with each other or is there a way to do it en masse? I only have the demo version so am limited to one cabinet per file at the moment. I have watched multiple videos but don't think I've seen this covered. Thanks

Not aware of there being a batch way to do it. I don't find a need for this. I would probably just resize them in plan snapping to a rectangle grid of the sizes I need and It doesn't take very long.

If you have multiple units of the same eg. width height or depth then you can select them all and change the parameter where they match, e.g. if you want to change a group of cabinets that are 600mm d to 500mm d then you can do this in batch. This isn't what you're asking though.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Blinkglitter said:

Not aware of there being a batch way to do it. I don't find a need for this. I would probably just resize them in plan snapping to a rectangle grid of the sizes I need and It doesn't take very long.

If you have multiple units of the same eg. width height or depth then you can select them all and change the parameter where they match, e.g. if you want to change a group of cabinets that are 600mm d to 500mm d then you can do this in batch. This isn't what you're asking though.

Good to know thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 5:07 PM, Tom W. said:

But I guess that would mean copying the folders over then going into them one by one + deleting the content which isn't really going to save any time...

There are commands you can run in Terminal (on Mac) or Windows Command Processor (on Windows) that can reproduce entire folder structures (including subfolders whilst excluding files) in a desired location. Google it and/or ask ChatGPT for assistance - but if you can't understand/authenticate the command yourself, test it somewhere harmless before running it. 

• Like 1
On 6/7/2023 at 9:25 PM, Blinkglitter said:

If there's anywhere online that demonstrates what user folder bad practices are I would be interested to see.

I know of no such online resource. I can't recall any verified/reproducible issues with respect to migrating Vectorworks-only data, but here are some things I would regard as suspect (at least) when using the Migration Manager to migrate Vectorworks+Interiorcad data to a newer version: 

• Having 'VW Backup' folders and files in the User Folder. 
  • Files with unconventional characters in the filename. This is more of a concern on Windows computers so if you have users on both Mac and Windows sharing files, the Mac users will have to ensure they don't use characters that Windows can't handle. 
  • Files that look like they have/have had multiple file extensions. The file name isn't the issue, but when I find files like this it makes me question how they've been handled. Real example: Häfele Moovit - Original.vwx.Tmp.vwx  - The 'Tmp' suggests Vectorworks or some other file-handling process was interrupted while doing something with this file, after which it was opened and saved again in Vectorworks. 

There will be other conditions I haven't thought of. You can help yourself by just considering the engineers that build the software. What uncommon or unconventional conditions might they not have considered or had the time/budget to accommodate? Consider how an engineer might respond to the proposition, 'Does it make sense to migrate any backup files let alone the '5 most recent backups' created by Vectorworks Preferences?' Etc, etc.