File keeps crashing after SP4 update

Berit Barton

Question

Hi,

anyone else having issues with files crashing since installing the latest SP4 upgrade? 

When I open one of my project files and try change anything or try saving the program simply crashes without warning, however my colleagues who have not run the upgrade yet can still open, change and save the file.

Turns out another colleague that has also upgraded has the same issue with one of his files and his team members that are still on the old SP3 have no issues with it.

Any help appreciated as I'm worried that the same thing will happen to all the others once they run the update!

DD Lee & Wang - original.vwx

Edited by Berit Barton
Added file

2 answers to this question

I've opened your file in Vectorworks 2020 SP4 on Mac with no problem. If I experienced the same issue with your file then it would be a file-specific issue. Seeing as one or more other colleagues are experiencing the same issue on SP4, I suggest you try ruling out possible corruptions in your respective Vectorworks User Folders or any Workgroup folders common to all affected users. 

Go: Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences… 

1. In the User Folders tab, click 'Explore' on Windows or 'Reveal in Finder' on Mac
  2. Quit Vectorworks
  3. Prepend the name of your Vectorworks User Folder with an 'x' (e.g. Change '2020' to 'x2020')
  4. Reopen Vectorworks
  5. Test to see if the issue persists. 
    • If the issue persists; Quit Vectorworks and restore your original User Folder, then contact tech support for more granular help. 
    • If the issue is gone; Either keep the entire new User Folder or methodically transplant customisations into the new User Folder until you encounter the culprit file/folder. Vectorworks will recreate any settings files you leave out. 

You could also run the 'Repair' option, found in the 'Advanced' menu in the Vectorworks 2020 Updater app. 

Given that this is less work, maybe try this first. 

If these don't make a difference, contact your Vectorworks tech support provider for your region.