Object activation and push/pull stops working during session

RichPiano

Question

Hi guys

So lately I encountered what seems to be a bug in vectorworks. When I try to select an object in my vectorworks model, it won't show the highlighted boundaries. Activation is successful though according to the object info window on the top right side. I tried zooming out of my model and was surprised to see that the boundaries do then show. It's just when I'm too close to my model that it doesn't work (compare first to second screenshot, I did'nt change anything about the activation status of the object). Also, when I restart vectorworks the activation works the first time i try it and highlights are shown, but the second time it stops working.

What's more, the push/pull tool doesn't work. When I start a new model in the same vectorworks session, it will work there, but not in my original model. Someone said that that kind of erratic behaviour is to be expected when the model is placed very far from the origin, which mine apparently is. I tried moving it to the origin with the command from the extras menu, but it only the ruler seems to reset. The coordinates below the window are still huge (see screenshot). What can I do to solve the problem?

Thanks!

2020-04-25_Vectorworks_activation_bug2.PNG

2020-04-25_Vectorworks_activation_bug.PNG

3 answers to this question

Hi @RichPiano, when your rulers start displaying alphanumeric characters that often signifies your model is too far away from the Internal Origin (distinct from the User Origin), but this is not a definitive indicator because the rulers represent distance from the User Origin, not the Internal Origin. In my role of supporting Vectorworks I've learnt that 'far out objects' can cause a diverse range of problems/symptoms. I've written and optimised a script with steps to diagnose and correct 'far out objects.' 

See here: