Electrical symbols

Hello

I'm new to Vectorworks & this is my first forum post. Can anyone help with explaining where to find a good selection of electrical symbols to use on a residential plan (for the electrician to work from). I found a handful in Libraries but not what I need.

Thank you for helping with what I'm sure is a very basic question!

Welcome to the forum.  

In the MEP tool palette there are tools for switches, receptacles, fixtures, etc.

I've found that there are often instances where I need symbols in addition to those and I often need 3D representations that are client specific.  So I just make my own.  

You're new to VW.  Have you discovered the thrill of making symbols yet?  (Are you wanting to learn how to fish, or do you just need one dang fish?)

• 3 weeks later...

....I have mastered some symbol making & now have the beginnings of my own electrical library (Hooray!).

Another question....I don't have the Resource Browser Palette & can't seem to find where it might be. Is it now part of Resource manager in 2020?

Thanks!

Thank you.

While I've got you, Michael....I imported a pdf drawing of a floorplan. I have been using it to draw on top ( created another layer...hope that's right). All going fine until my pdf disappeared, leaving me with a half finished new plan. I've tried to find it, to no avail. Thinking I accidentally deleted? Do I need to start from scratch?

Make sure your layer options are set to Show/Snap Others or Show Others.  If it's set to Grey Others or Grey/Snap Others then PDFs on other layers are not visible.

When that doesn't work make all classes visible.  I've often accidentally put something in the nonplot class 😀

One last thing to check:  When you imported the PDF you may have referenced it rather than imported it and not cached it in the file.  If you moved files around in folder or renamed anything, it may have lost the reference.  In the navigation palette look under the last tab (looks like an arrow coming around from behind a piece of paper) to see if there is an out of date reference.  If there is, right click on it and choose update, then navigate to the pdf.

Hi Michael

I decided to start again & check as I go....Imported pdf, cropped it fine, tried to print & nothing. I've spent an hour (!) trying different things & printer settings. I have printed a pdf before so know it can be done on my kit. Any thoughts? Apologies for being such a beginner!

PS I don't know what you mean when you were explaining about pdf being referenced vs imported..don't know what caching a file is...despite googling 😐

When you print, are you printing from the design layer or viewports on a sheet layer?

Can you see the pdf on a design layer?

When you import or drag a PDF into a drawing you get a dialog box that looks like this:

image.thumb.png.f7f74e04b93e7a006a43cf579e21e911.png

Make sure that Reference is NOT selected.  Then you don't have to worry about it. 🙂

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2020 at 3:50 PM, MichaelaB said:

Hello

I'm new to Vectorworks & this is my first forum post. Can anyone help with explaining where to find a good selection of electrical symbols to use on a residential plan (for the electrician to work from). I found a handful in Libraries but not what I need.

Thank you for helping with what I'm sure is a very basic question!

HI,

How did you get on finding some symbols to use?

I've just started with Vectorworks and this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Any help with UK electrical symbols would be greatly appreciated!

5 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Like @michaelk says you're probably better to just make your own. This is what I did. I'm not sure there's a UK standard anyway for electrical layout symbols - it seems to vary from engineer to engineer. Plus did you want 3D representations for the devices as well?

I'm just after something to get going.

Only need 2D for now.

Thanks