Data Tag says no eligible object is selected

Christiaan

Question

The Data Tag tool is doing my head in. I'm trying to tag walls using the default Wall Tag w Leader definition but no matter which mode I use it says 'no eligible object is selected' when I click on the wall. I've added a my text to the Mark field in the Data tab of my Wall Style. Is there something else I'm meant to be doing?

• Like 1

Thank you very much @Nikolay Zhelyazkov all makes perfect sense when explained so clearly!

However one question:

12 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

in Single Eligible Object mode you are asked if you want to attach the record to the object or you want to use the one from the Tag

I can't test it because as you say I have chosen not to see this message again (+ I don't want to clear all my saved settings in order to do so!) but can the Data Tag really attach a Record to an object which doesn't have the Record attached to it already...? Or am I misinterpreting the message + it's actually asking me 'do you need to go away + attach the record to the object then come back + try again?'.

Normally If you try to use a data tag on an object + the relevant record isn't already attached to that object you get this message:

Screenshot2023-11-06at14_48_53.png.906e6d91ec54a2e3396ae26c288becd2.png

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
8 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I can't test it because as you say I have chosen not to see this message again (+ I don't want to clear all my saved settings in order to do so!) but can the Data Tag really attach a Record to an object which doesn't have the Record attached to it already...? Or am I misinterpreting the message + it's actually asking me 'do you need to go away + attach the record to the object then come back + try again?'.

- The data tag will attach the record to the object if you select to do so.

9 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Aha ok cool. So the question then is, why doesn't it do this in other circumstances? It will only do it if the record is first attached to the tag? 

- In the case where the record is missing from the tag too it is automatically attached to the object if Single Eligible Object mode is selected, so there is no option to choose from and no dialog is displayed.

4 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

So it does! So the determining factor is 'Link to data source'?

- Yes, you just need the record in the formula. Also, this works only in these cases:

1) The tag reads data from the PIO too in order to attach the records, otherwise it is not considered as a 'PIO tag' and it will not attach records.

2) The tag reads data from an IFC entity too in order to attach the records, otherwise it is not considered as a 'IFC tag' and it will not attach records.

3) The tag is attached to a symbol, then you are presented with the options to attach the records to the symbol instances

Note that the terminology used above is not formal, just trying to explain how this works.

• Like 2