ajemutt

Showing gobo texture in lit fog

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I'm trying to dummy up a laser look by projecting a thin rectangular line gobo onto a surface. I used the technique described in the  video linked below, and it works for just projecting the gobo itself onto my 3d surfaces, but I need to take the next step and have the shape/texture show up in the beam with the 'lit fog' option turned on, but when I turn on the fog, it's showing the entire circle of the beam, not the shape of the geo I've created.

https://www.vectorworks.net/training/2016/getting-started-guides/spotlight/Gsg-2016-s15-adding-a-gobo-texture 

Is it possible to render a texture in the fog beam?

EDIT: I also tried removing my gobo texture and just using the shutter tool, but that doesn't work either.

thx!

A

Edited by ajemutt

Gobos in lit fog do work. Once you get that sorted you will have to drastically increase the light output of your fixture. They can be set to intensities much greater than 100%. 

Make sure you have 'Receive Shadows' Checked in the Renderworks Background resource (which is what a fog is).

Cheers,

Peter

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 1.49.10 pm.png

Thanks. I did try that. It looks like using it with a gobo might work, but I was on the phone with VW support today, and they said that shutter cuts won't render in fog. I tried to switch back to a gobo, and now VW keeps crashing every time I try and render the scene, so I'm gonna get back on the phone with them tomorrow :(

It may have something to do with soft shadows. Be sure that item is UN-Checked

Jegg